cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to buy LD add-on

markyb
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm down to around 30 minutes of my 400 min LD add-on.   Can I purchase a new one before I run out of minutes and not lose them or do I need to wait until I'm down to zero before purchasing my next one?

thanks in advance

12 REPLIES 12

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Thanks for following up and confirming, @markyb.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

zmawani
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Good to know!

markyb

Worked like a charm!  Purchased a new add-on and it's now showing I have 428 minutes remaining.

srlawren

@choding I don't recommend Hangouts in place of  Fongo, but rather in addition to Fongo:  Fongo (Android, iOS) for inbound calls, and Hangouts Dialer (Android, just "Hangouts" for iOS) for outbound (if needed).  

[Info on how to verify your phone number for outbound calls in Hangouts Dialer for Android or in Hangouts for iOS.]

You said "Also I can call anyarea with nothing."  If you're on a province-wide talk call, that's not entirely true.  You can call any phone number located in area codes which belong to the province in which you're currently standing* "with nothing", but calling anywhere outside of that province--including back to your home province if you're out of your home province--requires long-distance add-on minutes.  Also, you can use the forward-inbound-toFongo + Hangouts Dialer for outbound combo while outside of Canada, if desired.  This way you can just pick up a data service for your calling + data needs, or even get by with local WiFi options.

* the asterisk: if you're standing near a provincial border you may pick up signal from a tower on the other side border, so adjust what I'vee said here accordingly.  This is a fairly large issue in border towns like Gatineau or Ottawa/Hull, less so in most areas of the country.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

choding

thanks you advice,

in my case, Fongo is better than hangout because they give me a phone number and use call forward. the reason why i use the fongo is the call forward. when i go out my home boundary, I can receive any call from PM number by call forward. Also I can call anyarea with nothing.

srlawren

@choding you should check out Hangouts Dialer for your outbound calls.  You can verify your PM phone number (via receiving a text with a code in it), and then set it to send your PM phone number as the outbound caller ID number instead.  When you dial out from Fongo, it shows with your Fongo number, which might confuse some of your contacts.  Worth a look.

@zmawani the long-distance add-ons are indeed stackable.  

choding

i use an android phone. it is based on it. i don't know iphone. as you use it, you try to figure it out by yourself.

go to play store,

search Fongo,

download and install in your phone.

when finished, click the app and put your information on the screen.

after fill it out, they ask you to fill it out as password and id.

go to your email account, they send an email and read it.

In my case, they ask me to click the web for recognize a right person.

after this process, go back to the web page as password and id.

put your id and password in there.

you finish your activation for fongo.

Fongo uses data or wifi depend on the plan.

Now you have to know the call forward function.

there is a call forwad option in your phone. you have to find it by googling.

as you find, you put the Fongo phone number on it.

after this, you can receive your phone on the Fongo phone number.

Fongo is based on the wifi or data, there is no boundary as country or province.

it is very nice service for PM user.

good luck.

zmawani

Could you let us know once you do it? I am nowhere near close of needing to replenish my minutes, but it would be good to know for the future

choding

have you used fongo app on android phone?

i didn't trust someone recommanded this app, but i tried it.

it was very nice to save money for PM user as you have data plan.

Fongo covers all canada actually some cities, you should check their area in their web.

but when you go out of your area, you can use call forward to Fongo num from PM num.

It is very good service.

I wish you try it.

blessing.

I'm not even close yet to purchase another LD add-on, but the add-on tool in my self-serve account indicates that I could do so right now, and it lets me select 2 or more. 

Your confirmation (hopefully!) once you have gone through the process would be appreciated, if you are so inclined. Thank you!

markyb

I knew you couldn't "stack" the US Roaming - I was hoping the LD was different, which from what you say it seems to be.

Thanks!

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

My understanding is that the $8 and $15 LD minute add-ons are stackable as well as the data add-ons. Meaning that you should be able to add another one before you are out of minutes.

Just a reminder that buying add-ons is a two step process: the first time you are adding funds to your account, the second time you are actually buying the add-on.

There are different rules for the US roaming add-ons. The same add-on can't be purchased before the first one expires.

(Edited to add the two step and US roaming bits.)

Need Help? Let's chat.