cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WhatsApp- Foreign Carrier- Use PM number-$

Scottpy1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If I use a foreign carrier eSIM (like aloSIM, Orange, Vodafone ) when travelling in Europe and PM sim off, have data off for my public mobile line and data switching off on both, can I use the PM number in WhatsApp? If so will there be any cost to doing so? Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

Cherbear-

Yes, you can and there will be no charge. HOWEVER, you need to have WhatsApp set up with your PM number prior to leaving Canada or else you won't be able to receive the text WhatsApp will send to your PM phone number since PM does not support any cellular signal outside of Canada.

@Scottpy1 wrote:

Then, when you were abroad using WhatsApp and some other companies eSIM, did PM charge you anything for giving receiving calls/texts? Thanks

WhasApp isn't a service being provided by Public Mobile.  There will be no service at all provided by Public Mobile while you're there.  Public Mobile service will not be usable in any form, and there's nothing that Public Mobile could charge you for.  Further, Public Mobile never has pay-per-use charges.

No, because Public Mobile doesn't even know about it. It's simply using an unrelated data connection to talk to the WhatsApp servers.

And side note, but there will never be surprise charges with Public Mobile because it's prepaid. The service either works (you prepaid for it) or it doesn't work.

Scottpy1

Then, when you were abroad using WhatsApp and some other companies eSIM, did PM charge you anything for giving receiving calls/texts? Thanks

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Yes it works fine. You just need to have it setup (WhatsApp) when you're at home and can receive the initial text. Once it's setup on the device you can use any data (wifi, roaming, travel esim, secondary sim etc) to access WhatsApp. Yes, I've used it with all of the above options.

yes @Scottpy1 that was exactly what I meant and worked for me

your WhatsApp will still work with your European sim card and PM sim is not there 

Scottpy1

I know my PM works on WhatsApp when using in Canada  BUT have you used your PM number in WhatsApp in Europe on a non PM eSIM? And were there any fees from PM?

slusagm
Mayor / Maire

yes it works, I used that before too 

WhatsApp usually just need to validation during app installed, once installed, you are good to keep using it for long time even the sim with the phone number is not active 

Need Help? Let's chat.