cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on with the data counter???

Burdwood
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So, for context: 90day plan is renewing next week. And, running somewhat low on data, we're checking the real time counter more often to space data out 'til renewal. The phone is turned off overnight, and data is off when not in use during the day, and when in use, all background data is off and we're only downloading pictures and videos over WiFi.

How the H can the real time counter on the landing page (which usually is reflecting our usage fairly accurately) go from 75MB to 170MB to 68 MB to 167 MB to 62 MB to 161 MB to 58MB etc when checked in the evening and in the morning?!?!? Counting down 75 - 70 - 68 - 67 - 62 - 61 - 58 etc seems to tie in with usage. But either we have those 100MB or we don't have them?!? At this point that on/off amount is twice the amount that we have for sure.

CSA is just shrugging their shoulders and says that it's our problem, not theirs, that we are low on data and that we should buy an add-on.

Public Mobile, the counters on your website is legally binding. So get your act together and make it accurate and reliable!

\rant

Edited to add: while the timing seems somewhat different, the 100MB reporting inconsistency is also happening on IVR. The reporting on the app has always been mere guess work.

Second edit: This is not a browser cache problem - we always start on a clean slate (cache cleared, incognito mode), and switch browsers to double check.

11 REPLIES 11

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The data counter is one of the most often discussed items in the community over the years.  I am pretty confident that despite many of the rough edges with the online account, this is one meter that works.  Tracking data is pretty ubiquitous.  

Burdwood

@hTideGnow wrote:

Hi @Burdwood 

just a guess, the jump from 5Mb to 100Mb buffer (if that is real), could be a side effect from the 5G network.  Could be there are more to "download" to initiate the traffic, and could be that the 1 sec download now is downloading way more that before on the 3G network.  Just my guess

Has the buffer actually ever been acknowledged by Public Mobile officials? I only ever read in the community about it. Also couldn't find anything in the FAQ, but my search terms might be inconclusive.

I know that communication from PM is abysmal, but an official explanation about this buffer practice would go a long way.

Hi @Burdwood 

just a guess, the jump from 5Mb to 100Mb buffer (if that is real), could be a side effect from the 5G network.  Could be there are more to "download" to initiate the traffic, and could be that the 1 sec download now is downloading way more that before on the 3G network.  Just my guess

Burdwood

@hTideGnow wrote:

hi @Burdwood 

yes, there used to be a 5Mb buffer, glad that you know.  I wonder if data is so much now everyone, the buffer now increased to 100Mb

PM will never share numbers but I'd assume that there is still a fair amount of long term users that are holding on to the $15/100min/250MB plan. 100MB is 40% of the total data for those people!

Burdwood

@slusagm wrote:

but the discrepancy just 100 MB? or more?

It's 100MB. 

The buffer theory makes sense, but 100MB is insane on low usage plans.

hi @Burdwood 

yes, there used to be a 5Mb buffer, glad that you know.  I wonder if data is so much now everyone, the buffer now increased to 100Mb

slusagm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

but the discrepancy just 100 MB? or more?

Burdwood

@hTideGnow wrote:

HI @Burdwood 

you really have to work with support agent on that.  Ask them to escalate

also, track your data usage on your phone as well 

We have contacted CSA. They are not willing to help.

As mentioned, the gradual decrease by a few MB at the time ties in with the phone records. It's the 100MB that is randomly there or not. As I say, since the counter is considered legal tender, this is too much of an inaccuracy. (I remember the 5MB buffer of old, and that's fine, but this is 100MB, which, on a 250MB plan would be 40% of the data bucket!)

Burdwood

@slusagm wrote:

are you on the plan with 250Mb data?. many complain that they lost 100Mb for no reason when cycle starts

No, $57/9GB/90days. And the 100MB are there at one point, then the next time we check it's off, just to be back on again later.

slusagm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

are you on the plan with 250Mb data?. many complain that they lost 100Mb for no reason when cycle starts

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Burdwood 

you really have to work with support agent on that.  Ask them to escalate

also, track your data usage on your phone as well 

Need Help? Let's chat.