cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you do if the cell service doesn't work?

khemmerl
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My daughter spent three months in Florida and after returning to Canada her Public Mobile cell service isn't working.  The cell phone works fine and can be used with wifi... when it's available.  I've checked her account and it's not suspended or anything.  Restarting the phone doesn't make any difference.  If this was Telus or Rogers, I'd take the phone into a store and ask them what the problem is but that's not an option for Public Mobile.  Does anyone have a recommendation on what to try?

Ken

26 REPLIES 26

@khemmerl Sorry it took a day. I remove my PM SIM whenever I travel and have never had an issue getting service back. If having no down time is crucial you may wish to consider the ideas here: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/SECURITY-OF-SERVICE/m-p/23214#M4783.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

I know what you mean sometime you need to deal with issue right away when u have no service and stuff but

I m glad your issue resolved.
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

khemmerl

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all your help.  I received an email from moderator Shazia_K at 8:03 AM the day after I sent the moderators a private message with the phone and account number for the problem phone.  When I checked, the phone was working perfectly without having to remove the SIM card, update Cellular Data settings or even restarting the phone.  No details were provided so I'm not sure what they did or what the root cause of the problem was.

I'll mark 'contacting the moderators' as the solution. 

Public Mobility customers should be aware that issues like this can take roughly a day to resolve.  While I like Public Mobility and will be staying as a client, I might consider the choice of a provider that runs an actual call centre to immediately deal with issues if I were to do a lot of traveling.

Ken

Does your issue get looked after yet
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

neilselden
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi,

I had a similar issue after returning from vacation (only one week long, however)

A SIM reset did the trick for me:

1. Power off
  2. Remove SIM card (and battery if it is removable)
  3. Wait 5 minutes
  4. Re-insert SIM
  5. Power on
  6. test... Success?

Hope this helps,

Neil

Did mod look after you ?

Greg1
Lots can happen to a phone in 3 months... I'm of course agreeing the iphone is still "compatible", but that probably there is something else causing it to not work, that would be easier to physically diagnose....Ie, water damage, settings needing to be updated/reset... Etc

If I was to bet, the account status seems good from the questions he answered already. I'd guess the sim card will work in a Telus prepaid phone if he tests that, and that there's something wrong with the phone.

@Greg1 agreed with the 1st suggestion
But 2nd one I already asked him he said his daughter was using the same phone with same sim with public mobile so that's prove the phone is compatible with pm but first part that you said I wouldn't mind trying getting a prepaid phone to try out sim card

Greg1
Two things you could try:

- go to Staples or Costco or somewhere that sells unlocked LTE phones or Telus or koodo prepaid LTE phones that you can return for a refund and try the sim card in it. If it works, then you know your phone has a problem, not the sim card or your account.

-Take the iPhone to a Telus store and ask them to try a working Telus sim in it to see if it's compatible/unlocked and can be used on the Telus network. You can lie and say maybe youre interested in a month to month plan if it does work. They can probably help you diagnose the problem better than a mod here who can't physically look at it.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@khemmerl wrote:

Thanks,  I checked her account and it shows as active.  I've sent a private message to the moderators about 5 hours ago and haven't heard anything back.  I'm filling in a Contact Us form right now to try and get some help.  I just thought (hoped) there might be someone I could contact in person to troubleshoot this.

@khemmerl

I suggest you do not use the "Contact Us" form.  I have seen reports that it is unreliable.  The best way to get help is by private message to a moderator.

I think there's no number to call they will get back to you by private msg hopefully also if u are on Facebook u can add public mobile page and send a msg though Facebook messager as well

If your issue resolve after discussing with mod do update here

khemmerl

@Samianauman, Thanks for all the help.  I'll try calling tomorrow to see if someone at PM can figure out what the problem is.

Ok if there a *611 messenge that's mean issue with your service nothing wrong with phone or setting I would say send a private msg as you said u already send one send a msg along your phone number and user name with the issue u having i am pretty sure They will fix the issue since we have a best mod team working here They probably be not working now I think they work till 9 pm hopefully They will contact you right away when they available

khemmerl

The account shows active, $24 balance, payment due date is Jul 3, 2017

khemmerl

Text messages sent to the phone are never received by the phone.  Messages sent by the phone never reach their destination.  Calls to the phone go straight to voice mail.  When trying to call from the phone, we get the message "Sorry we cannot complete the call.  Please call us at *4611 for assistance".

I feel a bit foolish about the *4611 message.  To be honest we use never use the phone for voice calls so we didn't hear this message until just now.

I have a feeling it's a system glitch since your phone showing public mobile and apn setting looks OK as well it's seems like issues from pm side probably a error in system from their end mod dept have a access to your account they will fix it up

Last thing when did you last top up your account and what's the next renewal date

What happen if you try to use Data or making a call are u getting any messages like not in service or account deactivated?

khemmerl

When I go into Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Cellular Data Network, the only APN entry is for “Personal Hotspot” and it’s set to isp.mb.com.  According to http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/iPhone-Update-and-APN-settings/td-p/1610, this is the correct setting.  There are no other APN fields.

I’ve confirmed that Cellular Data is turned on.  Unfortunately, we’re not able to try the SIM card in a different phone right now.

If it's showing public mobile then it's connected usually if it's no connected to network it say no service or emergency calls only what happen when u try to call or send sms it's not going though

Few things you can try did you setup apn setting ?
Also goto setting cellular see if lte is selected and also under cellular u will see apn setting check if it's fill all properly
Also try her sim in different phone
Let me know if u need apn setting

khemmerl

The line along the top of the display says "Public Mobile".

If she is using same phone then it's easier to troubleshoot but if it's a different phone now first we have to make sure if it's unlock also when u insert sim what does it says on top no service? Did you try to select network and setup apn setting

khemmerl

She's using the same iPhone 5 with the same PM SIM card that was working in December.  

Service is active and what about her phone is that the same phone she was using before and which phone is it

khemmerl

Thanks,  I checked her account and it shows as active.  I've sent a private message to the moderators about 5 hours ago and haven't heard anything back.  I'm filling in a Contact Us form right now to try and get some help.  I just thought (hoped) there might be someone I could contact in person to troubleshoot this.

Samianauman
Mayor / Maire
If she was a public mobile customer login in check if service is active usually after 90 Days if not top up service get suspended since you said she was in Florida for 3 months check the coverage by login and if service is active then check phone is that the same phone that she was using before she left for Florida if no then check if phone is unlocked if she was using the same phone and service is active then send a private msg to mod to resolve the issue by sending a private msg

Here how you send a private msg
Please send a private message to a moderator and have them investigate the problem.  If you are unsure how to private message a moderator, please check out the link below. 

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Modera...

One of the stuff of mod dept @Shazia_K
Need Help? Let's chat.