cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHAT HAPPENS IN THE US WITH NO US ADD ON PLAN

ScottieK
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi

Ok so if im in the US and dont have a US add-on what happens when...

Someone texts me? will i get it without being on a plan?

I try to text? Will it use my availible balance on a pay per use basis or just not work?

i try to use data? Will it use my availible balance on a pay per use basis or just not work?

I try to make or answer a call? Will it use my availible balance on a pay per use basis or just do not work?

Thanks for answering.

6 REPLIES 6

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@pakmode wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

The short answer:  If you are in the U.S. and don't have a roaming add-on, your service won't work.

^This.

Literally NOTHING happens.

Your phone turns into a paperweight for all intents and purposes lol.

@pakmode @computergeek541 well, not quite.  As already noted, you can still *receive* text messages with zero add-ons.  This on its own can be handy--if a friend, family member, or business contact tries to text you, you will at least receive it and be aware of it.  You could always get yourself to WiFi and send them a reply via email (or a data-based messenger service like WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Skype, etc, if you have any in common) rather than leaving them out in the cold.  Also, if you use sms-based two-factor authentication for any online services, you can at least still receive your one-time 2FA tokens while in the USA.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:

The short answer:  If you are in the U.S. and don't have a roaming add-on, your service won't work.

^This.

Literally NOTHING happens.

Your phone turns into a paperweight for all intents and purposes lol.

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Public Mobile do not have pay per use rates. It's a what you see is what you get plan.

swirlix
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@ScottieK You will not be charged for any text, call or data if you don't have a plan as you will not be able to recieve or send any as well. 
With Pay as You Go, you can only be charged for services you paid for.

I hope that helps

Someone_here
Mayor / Maire

Hi @ScottieK

Ok so if im in the US and dont have a US add-on what happens when...

Someone texts me? will i get it without being on a plan?

You will receive the texts sent to your phone.

I try to text? Will it use my availible balance on a pay per use basis or just not work?

It won't work. 

i try to use data? Will it use my availible balance on a pay per use basis or just not work?

It won't work.

I try to make or answer a call? Will it use my availible balance on a pay per use basis or just do not work?

It won't work. If you receive a call, your phone won't even ring and people will be directed to your voicemail.

Thanks for answering.

Furthermore, if you get a voicemail, you'll receive the voicemail notification on your phone, but you won't be able to listen to it.

Hope this helps!

Need Help? Let's chat.