cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voicemail usage

ShaoLynne
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have never used my phone. It's a backup only, have a landline that I still use. However, cellphone usage shows my number calling voicemail twice a day since I joined. Have never called voicemail. Have never made any outgoing call yet. Have never set up voicemail message. What's going on? How do I find out who is calling using my cell #? How do I stop this? I don't intend on using cell phone until Bell landline current acct is 'done'.

11 REPLIES 11

ShaoLynne

I'll try that, thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShaoLynne : You're not and won't be paying for anything more than your plan. You can use the Change number function in the self-serve and pick another number if you like. If you get in and listen to those messages I would suspect they're junk. Delete them all and then set up the Extended Absence method.

ShaoLynne

It was in my account  when I logged in..."View my usage". Since I hadn't used anything, I expected "zero call history - no usage". Instead the list was several pages. How do you get a "new" number that no one has had before? I think these calls may be for previous owner of this phone number. I don't want to pay for someone else's messages.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meow wrote:

You cannot set it up from other phone.

@Meow : Again...unless this has changed...there is a trick to reset the password in the self-serve and then use any phone to call in and set up the voicemail.

ShaoLynne

Thank you for your answer

ShaoLynne

Thank you

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@ShaoLynne wrote:

Use your cell phone, call your vmail (it will use your minutes if you are on $15 plan) and set it up if you never did that. You cannot set it up from other phone.

Then change or create a password and continue to monitor phone usage. Very unlikely your phone calls voicemail  by itself.

Where do you see this calls? In your phone calls history or Usage when you log in into your account?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShaoLynne : If you often turn off the phone then those are likely calls to your phone (probably junk callers) and they are dropping to voicemail. Since they don't consume minutes then you don't really need to care. You can also set up what's called an Extended Absence greeting and then turn off the ability to take recordings. It will still forward and register in your usage details but you won't have voicemail messages. As it is, your voicemail might be full and then after 10 days the oldest message deletes. Then another junk call comes in and re-fills the voicemail.

You can also reset your password in the self-serve. This resets to your 10 digit phone number.

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ShaoLynne 

Call your own number from your PM phone. Then follow the voice prompts to require a passcode even when dialling from your own number.

ShaoLynne

how do I set up passcode?

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ShaoLynne 

Do you have a passcode set up for your voicemail? If not, I would recommend that you dial your own number from your PM phone and set up a voicemail passcode for your own safety.

Aside from doing that, I would say it is okay to ignore the call to your voicemail number in your usage history.

Need Help? Let's chat.