Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voicemail problem...

ve3zt
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Am on the 15$ plan.

Phone is a Heuwai Mate 20 Pro running Android 10

Long pressing 1 gets me a message that I have no Messages. Then the various Press 2 for this, 3 for that.

I have recorded a message to play when the phone isn't answered.

What happens when dialing to the cellphone, the cellphone rings about 5 times, then stops ringing. The phone that dialed the cellphone rings about 9 times in total (about 5 rings after the cellphone stops ringing), then gets a busy signal.

At time the dialing phone sends a message that "this number is not in service."

Any  ideas?

Best regards from Wellington, ON

29 REPLIES 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ve3zt : That was me. You had "signed" your first post with your name. But it looks like it got edited. I also commented on your username.

ve3zt

Btw, someone mentioned early on that I shouldn't use my real name.

Where did I do that?

ve3zt

Thanks to everyone who helped me get my voicemail working.

@ve3zt wrote:

When someone calls my cellphone, I want it to go to voicemail after 8-ish rings.

At the same time, I would like it to ring (call forward) my home phone number.

SIMULTANEOUSLY RINGING two lines is not possible with Public Mobile - that is not call forwarding, its called simultaneous ring, or a ring group. You can only control whether a call to your cell phone is IMMEDIATELY forwarded elsewhere, or forwarded after up to 30 seconds. (or when off, or declined/blocked) That can be either to public mobile voicemail, or to your home number.

When my wife calls my cellphone, I want it to ring 8 times, then go to voicemail if I don't pick it up.

Yes you can do this... Forward to public mobile voicemail after 30 seconds of ringing your cell phone, but you can not ALSO have it forward to your home number after 30 seconds... one or the other....

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ve3zt :

-When someone calls my cellphone, I want it to go to voicemail after 8-ish rings
It actually goes by time which is maxed out at about 30 seconds. That was the 30 in one of the codes I posted earlier.

-At the same time, I would like it to ring (call forward) my home phone number.
No can do. How would that be possible after it has already gone to voicemail as per above?

-When my wife calls my cellphone, I want it to ring 8 times, then go to voicemail if I don't pick it up
No problem. Timing as above.

-That's about it. Is that unusual?
Just the middle one.

-I just did the *21* ten digits thing.
That will forward everything to that other number. No getting to voicemail here. No ringing at the cell. Which is an option for you. But then you'd want to undo that when you leave with the cell phone which you can do with ##21#.

I think the crux of the understanding is that getting to voicemail uses call forwarding.

There are 3 conditionals:

Busy - if you're currently on a call on the cell

No answer - it rang for as long as it could

Unreachable - phone off or out of cell range or in airplane mode

And then the one global forward everything (that you currently have).

ve3zt

If you wish to forward somewhere else then just replace those 10 digits with whatever Canadian number you like. But for your seeming situation, I'm liking the idea of just doing the always forward option. Which is:

*21*ten digit number#

Just be aware of looping things back on themselves.

I just did the *21* ten digits thing.

I'll see how that works out and report back.

Regards, Paul.

ve3zt

@ve3zt : For all the features of this place it _should_ all work automatically. It's that you seem to want to fiddle around with non-standard solutions. Which is fine. You just need to be a little more hands-on to do so. Which is why I asked earlier what your intentions were.

Edit: if you haven't read this yet...dial ##002#. That will reset all the forwarding to the default of here. These settings can also be found in the settings of your dialer to not use the codes.

I don't think that I want to do anything unusual.

Basically:
When someone calls my cellphone, I want it to go to voicemail after 8-ish rings.

At the same time, I would like it to ring (call forward) my home phone number.

When my wife calls my cellphone, I want it to ring 8 times, then go to voicemail if I don't pick it up.

That's about it. Is that unusual?

Regards, Paul.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ve3zt : For all the features of this place it _should_ all work automatically. It's that you seem to want to fiddle around with non-standard solutions. Which is fine. You just need to be a little more hands-on to do so. Which is why I asked earlier what your intentions were.

Edit: if you haven't read this yet...dial ##002#. That will reset all the forwarding to the default of here. These settings can also be found in the settings of your dialer to not use the codes.

ve3zt

@ve3zt : The string I gave is a real voicemail access number for here. So I guess you inadvertently set it up correctly

ve3zt_0-1630372869506.png

If you wish to forward somewhere else then just replace those 10 digits with whatever Canadian number you like. But for your seeming situation, I'm liking the idea of just doing the always forward option. Which is:

*21*ten digit number#

I don't recall going through this brain numbing (for me) voicemail procedure when I was running my Note 4. Was a great phone in several ways. However, I'm enjoying the Mate 20, especially the cameras.

Am home from working now, so will get back to this voicemail issue.
Regards from Wellington, ON

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ve3zt : The string I gave is a real voicemail access number for here. So I guess you inadvertently set it up correctly 🙂

*21*ten digit number#

ve3zt

"Your home phone number really ends in 4001?

Ooooops. Yet another boo boo.

No, my number is similar, but I thought I had to dial the entire string. Didn't realize it was an example, and I was to insert my own phone number.

Funny thing, even though I blew it again, the voicemail works when I dial my cellphone from my homephone.

I'll have to redo those 3 strings but insert my own home phone number.

Good thing I listed what I input on a previous post, or I would never have got it working right.

It's a long grind for you folks, but it'll be lots of laughs at the next PM regatta! 😂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ve3zt : lol Then that's a funny coincidence that your last 4 digits are the same as the standard voicemail access number. But I'll bet the area code and/or prefix are not.

You're doing just fine for any age. Not everyone is a wiz at these things. Don't worry about it.

So what are your intentions with voicemail? Where do you want the voicemails to land? Home? Cell? Forwarding to home? Forwarding to cell?

What plan are you on again? Remember all plans are Canada-wide and all unlimited incoming. The $15 plan has limited outgoing. Call forwarding does not consume minutes.

An idea for you might be to just use the "Always forward" when you're home to let calls go to home. Why would you call it when you're home anyway? Then when leaving with the phone, unforward. Maybe even forward from home to the cell then too.

@ve3zt 

Your home phone number really ends in 4001? The same as most of the Public Mobile voicemail access/deposit numbers?

That might be easily confused...

So does your home phone have voicemail? If so, is it just that calls to your cell phone that are unanswered... And then subsequently forwarded to your home phone, do not get answered by your home phone voicemail service?

Which company is your home phone with?

ve3zt

Keep in mind I'm in my 80th year.

Current settings:

Always forward = disabled

When busy = number ending in 4001

When unanswered = number ending in 4001

When unreachable = number ending in 4001

Number ending in 4001 is Home Phone.

@ve3zt wrote:

I've got my cell to forward to our home number under all conditions.

How to I get my cell phone to go to voicemail when the home phone is dialing the cell?

What happens now is the home phone get the cell ringing, at the 5th ring the cell stops ringing, and the home phone keeps ringing a total of about 9 rings, then I get a busy tone.

So you forward your cel to your home...... (all conditions? so when offline, no answer, and manually declined) - NOT the unconditional forward?

Then your home phone to forward when no answer to your cell phone?

so someone calls your cell... rings 30 seconds... forwards to home... rings 30 seconds, tries to forward to cell?? too many forwards in a loop. (As it looks like @Anonymous also noted now) 🙂 

If you need to check the cel voicemail but the cel is set to forward (so you'll never get public mobile voicemail) you have to dial one of the access numbers directly. ie: 613-581-4001

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ve3zt : You've made a nice loop for yourself. How can it possibly work? Round and round in circles. So it stops when it figures out "oh..we've been here already". End.

ve3zt

I'm beginning to catch on to to the codes and what they do.

I've got my cell to forward to our home number under all conditions.

How to I get my cell phone to go to voicemail when the home phone is dialing the cell?

What happens now is the home phone get the cell ringing, at the 5th ring the cell stops ringing, and the home phone keeps ringing a total of about 9 rings, then I get a busy tone.

@ve3zt wrote:

I don't know what those number mean or what they accomplish.

The codes that @Anonymous provided are to be dialed like phone numbers. Type each into your phone app, and press the Call/Send button like you would make a phone call, but these codes instead set where your unanswered calls are forwarded to. By default, they should all point to your Public Mobile voicemail, but maybe yours has somehow been changed.

For example, to check the current settings use these three codes: (They do not actually change anything, just "query")

*#61#

*#62#

*#67#

They usually return a number ending in 4001, most known voicemail access numbers have been listed in this link: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Updated-list-of-Voicemail-Access-Numbers/m-p/498446#M106548

647-580-4001

Usually, to "reset" the forwards, you can dial ##004# which should reset all three at once to whatever your particular default number is.  They can also each be set manually:

*61*16135814001**30#
*62*16135814001#

*67*16135814001#

Either way, after done, retry the *#xx# codes to check the new values. Then also test by actually calling your phone and see if unanswered calls, declined calls, and calls when your phone is off entirely all go to voicemail as desired.

I hope this helps!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ve3zt : Go back to page 1 with that post from me on the 22nd with the * and # things. Open your dialer like you're about to start manually dialing a number ie. the keypad. Type in those codes. That should set the voicemail access number for each of the ways that the system drops a caller to voicemail.

Then report back what happens when you press and hold the 1 on that keypad. That might also need attention.

ve3zt

It might be useful to mention that I originally signed up on PM using a Samsung Note 4. It died, I got this Huawei Mate 20 Pro, and swapped the SIM card from the Note 4 to the Mate 20.

I assumed the Voicemail would carry on working as in the Note 4. Maybe not?

I did take the sim card out and cleaned it and put it back into the Mate 20. Could that have created a problem?

I don't know what to do next.

Regards from Wellington, ON

@ve3zt 

Keep on truckin'....we should all be so lucky! I think you need to reset your call forwarding to their default settings. Our resident expert @Nezgar is much better at explaining it than I am but this post should help.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Out-of-service-area-or-on-Airplane-mo...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ve3zt 

for Voicemail features visit Here link ....

ve3zt

I don't know what those number mean or what they accomplish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ve3zt 

visit  Here link  to Set Up Voicemail.

ve3zt

I've had this phone for nearly 2 years, bought if from a 3rd party, and thought the voicemail was working. It was only recently that people have told me that they have not been able to leave messages. I'm not the brightest bulb on the Xmas tree. 🙂

Thank you for those ideas. I'll get to it when I get some time. Got over a dozen lawns / fields / estates to cut this week. I'm in my 80th year and still working. Your help and knowledge is very helpful. Will let you know how it works out.

Best regard to all.

Quinte Grass Cutting Service

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@ve3zt wrote:

Am on the 15$ plan.

Phone is a Heuwai Mate 20 Pro running Android 10

Long pressing 1 gets me a message that I have no Messages. Then the various Press 2 for this, 3 for that.

I have recorded a message to play when the phone isn't answered.

What happens when dialing to the cellphone, the cellphone rings about 5 times, then stops ringing. The phone that dialed the cellphone rings about 9 times in total (about 5 rings after the cellphone stops ringing), then gets a busy signal.

At time the dialing phone sends a message that "this number is not in service."

Any  ideas?

@ve3zt 

See information on how to Set up your voicemail here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/set-up-voicemail

Also, some more info., here:

Voicemail Access Numbers:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Updated-list-of-Voicemail-Access-N...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Another way is using dial codes.

*67*16135814001#
*61*16135814001*30#
*62*16135814001#

This sets the call forwarding. So far it looks like your voicemail access number is right. But make sure of that after you set these numbers.

The 30 on the second one is ring duration. That's the maximum.

ve3zt

Can you give me a step-by-step?

In Voicemail menu, the "Voicemail number is: 1 647 *** *** 4001

Anonymous
Not applicable

You really should change your username and not use a real name as a "signature".

Have a look in your dialer for the forwarding numbers. You want them to be something like 17785804001. Also the voicemail access number.

Voicemail works by way of forwarding callers to the voicemail access number to leave a message.

Need Help? Let's chat.