cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voicemail Automatically Hung up after Inputting Password? Possible Phishing Scam?

coolgod
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Today I received a spam call on a voicemail. I used my phone's voicemail button (auto-dials the default voicemail number) and I was greeted with the usual password prompt. I inputted my password and the voicemail hung up on me, I called again to make sure it wasn't a problem on my end and the voicemail hung up again after I inputted the password.
I dialed another voicemail number which wasn't password-protected (see https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Access-voicemail-without-password-bug/m-p...) and I could access my voicemail normally and see that the original voicemail message was a spam call.
A few hours later the original default voicemail number returned to normal and I could access voicemail again after inputting the password. 

Has anyone encountered this problem before? Is this a phishing scam where somehow scammers were able to spoof the voicemail number to phish for my voicemail password?

8 REPLIES 8

HI @coolgod   the VM number is correct

Honest, I wouldn't worry too much

But if you are uncomfortable, login to My Account and change it to another one.  And make sure your 4 digits account PIN is different.  If they are always the same, change that as well

coolgod

Yes, thank you I'm aware of this password issue with different VM numbers already. I just wanted to ask about this voicemail hang up issue which I thought was suspicious.

@coolgod wrote:

Is there a technical possibility that when I dialed the default voicemail number I reached some phishing server instead of public mobile's equipment?

No, that's not possible. Public Mobile routes the calls to whereever it's supposed to go. Phishing can only pretend to be someone from a phone number. That type of thing can't control where an outgoing phone calls goes.

The password request can also be settings dependent. So, there are some voicemail access numbers that don't require password entry if toggled off and calling from the device. There are some that will require the password even if off and calling from the device, there are some numbers that go into a whole choose language and enter your number and then it fails anyway. Then if you call voicemail from a different device it should ask for the password.

I updated the reference thread by user Nezgar with my testing.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Updated-list-of-Voicemail-Access-Numbers/...

coolgod

The VM speed dial number I used (today) was never changed and is always 647-580-4002. I just got suspicious that the voicemail hung up on me after I inputted the password, if it hung up on me before the password then I'd be more understanding.

Furthermore, I dialed 647-580-4001 (another voicemail number) right after I encountered the weird issue and could access my voicemail without a password. This seems to suggest the voicemail system backend was still working.

HI @coolgod   Likely not.  And I wouldn't worry too much

to be safe, go to the dialer and check the VM number set on the VM speed dial.  Let us know what number is that.

coolgod

Is there a technical possibility that when I dialed the default voicemail number I reached some phishing server instead of public mobile's equipment?

@coolgod wrote:

Today I received a spam call on a voicemail. I used my phone's voicemail button (auto-dials the default voicemail number) and I was greeted with the usual password prompt. I inputted my password and the voicemail hung up on me, I called again to make sure it wasn't a problem on my end and the voicemail hung up again after I inputted the password.
I dialed another voicemail number which wasn't password-protected (see https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Access-voicemail-without-password-bug/m-p...) and I could access my voicemail normally and see that the original voicemail message was a spam call.
A few hours later the original default voicemail number returned to normal and I could access voicemail again after inputting the password. 

Has anyone encountered this problem before? Is this a phishing scam where somehow scammers were able to spoof the voicemail number to phish for my voicemail password?

This was likely a network issue causing the hang up.  Somebody leaving a voice message doesn't have any way of changing the voicemail retrieval number programmed on your device.

Need Help? Let's chat.