cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE and US roaming

gancanny
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My wife is travelling to the US and we're going to buy the US roaming add-on.

I see all the warnings regarding the turning down of some 3G networks and I'm wondering how VoLTE fits into all of this. If it improves service in the US then how do we ensure that VoLTE has been added to my wife's profile/#. She has been a member before February 22, 2023.

10 REPLIES 10

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@gancanny 

Here is some additional info on US Roaming add ons and how to access the 2G network for voice services for non compatible or non-enabled VoLTE phones. It also includes info on T-Mobiles 4G LTE network coverage and a link to the cellmapper comprehensive netwirk coverage maps.

Keep in mind that unlike Canada providers in the US are not required to have equal network coverage in rural and low population density areas of the states. Connectivity can vary greatly from state to state so it helps to research the areas you will be roaming so you are aware of where you may have poor or no coverage outside of the major population centres.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

@softech 

I am not sure as my brother ordered the SIM for me from Dallas.

Yes, you are correct. Price jumped from last year.

@gancanny wrote:

Thanks. I should have mentioned that I know my wife's phone is compatible, as it's a Pixel 6 and VoLTE is on by default. I just want to ensure that it has been enabled in her profile by PM. I'll reach out to PM support.

The pixel 6 should work.  To check if VoLTE has been enabled in the account, dial *#*#4636#*#* to bring up a hidden menu, go to phone information, IMS service status.  If you see Voice over LTE available, the account is good to go.  

@BKNS27  I see TextNow sim is $4.99. 

and it has option to pay by Paypay, does it work if I have some Canadian card linked to Paypal?

do you know how long is the shipping?

gancanny

Thanks. I should have mentioned that I know my wife's phone is compatible, as it's a Pixel 6 and VoLTE is on by default. I just want to ensure that it has been enabled in her profile by PM. I'll reach out to PM support.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@gancanny 

Personally I use TextNow SIM for free calling & texting while in the USA on T-Mobile network on 4G/LTE and 5G but there is a catch in purchasing the $0.99 SIM…need a USA address & USA CC.

IMG_0075.png

@PointyCrow wrote:

If your phone is VoLTE compatible, it will show the letters LTE on the corner of you phone screen but check your Cellular Data Option and enable LTE if it is turned off. It is also phone dependent, so make sure to check the phone compatibility. 

The above is only true if there is active phone call.  A phone having LTE capabilty doesn't necessarily mean that it is VoLTE comaptible.

@gancanny wrote:

My wife is travelling to the US and we're going to buy the US roaming add-on.

I see all the warnings regarding the turning down of some 3G networks and I'm wondering how VoLTE fits into all of this. If it improves service in the US then how do we ensure that VoLTE has been added to my wife's profile/#. She has been a member before February 22, 2023.

If she makes a call and the phone remains on the LTE network, VoLTE is already enabled and the device is compatible with VoLTE. Otherwise, voice service will only work on T-Mobile's 2G network while in the U.S.

PointyCrow

If your phone is VoLTE compatible, it will show the letters LTE on the corner of you phone screen but check your Cellular Data Option and enable LTE if it is turned off. It is also phone dependent, so make sure to check the phone compatibility. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@gancanny   What phone does your wife have?

did she got a text from Telus telling her the VoLTE profile is enabled on her profile?  If not, I believe you can open a ticket with PM support and ask them to confirm if VoLTE is enabled or try to push them to enable first as your US trip is coming up

Yes, VoLTE is the solution to Voice roaming in US.  US has already shut down the 3G voice network.  Without VoLTE, you are depending on T-Mobile's old and unreliable 2G network.

But if VoLTE is enabled, your voice will be on LTE network, so as long as you can connect to T-Mobile LTE network, your voice will work

Need Help? Let's chat.