cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verification codes

JSernecky
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

New to public mobile! 

I just signed up for public mobile last night and now I am unable to receive any text verification codes from my banking facility, or phone service. How can I fix this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated 

9 REPLIES 9

@JSernecky wrote:

Called the bank already… they said it’s on public mobile side 

@JSernecky   the bank agent just trying to close the case quick.  The delay is on the bank side

Also, here is a technical reason behind all system generated app.  System generated app , not just from banks, take longer to find out that you have moved provider.  So, even without the security feature,  it will still takes them longer to know that in order to send you a text, they no longer send the message to Rogers but need to start sending to Public Mobile.  This delay happens on VoIP provider as well.  Except that usually just take 1 or 2 days, but banks might have added extra time for security reason

Hi @JSernecky   then you can ask them to help suspend 2FA temporary or change to email or phone call or apps

JSernecky

Called the bank already… they said it’s on public mobile side 

@umnikke8 @JSernecky   Yes, this is the "cost" of changing carrier or porting the phone number.  It seems inconvenient, but there was a time that sim fraud was coming  and people can took all the money within an hour.  If you are in such situation, you will be glad the bank has such security in place

That's why 2FA with SMS is never recommended.  it is best to use Authenticator app if there is a choice.  The good thing is that you won't run into this situation after you change provider, or you are in another country without roaming support, or you lost your phone and cannt activate the new sim yet.    

Hi @umnikke8   Try to call the bank if you need to login but unable to receive 2FA

JSernecky

It’s pretty frustrating for sure!  We live in a small town and I rely on online banking! 

JSernecky

So… I won’t be able to get into online banking until then? 

umnikke8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I understand the security motivations, but thats a pretty horrible position to put people in. Can't make bank transactions, log in to things, heck, maybe you can't even get email. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @JSernecky 

this is normal.  for new number or number just ported into new providers, it will take 5 or even 7 busines days for 2FA text from financial institutions.    There is a delay they setup in case of sim fraud

if you are getting text from text, you are good.  The 2FA text will start coming within a week.

Need Help? Let's chat.