cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using phone in US

Donlou223
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a Canada-US plan. Phone calls will work on T-Mobile network but calls to Canada are often Dropped. Tried AT&T but it wont even allow phone calls (although data works on AT&T.) Is there another cariied I should try?

8 REPLIES 8

Donlou223

Thanks. The build number on my A53 ends with CWI2 so it should be volte capable.

@Donlou223   I couldn't find much information other than that Samsung issued a firmware version for one of its phones and the build number ended in CWB4.  Maybe try a search of your phone for CWB4 or look in the About for the phone and see if there is anything similar there.  Of course I suppose if it's in the "above" category it will show something else.  In my older non-Samsung Android the build number is in the About section under the model number so that would be a place to look.

Donlou223

I have an A53 currently with Virgin. It does not show a toggle for volte either. How can I can I find out is it is a CWB4 or above?  I could switch sim cards if it is compatible. Thanks for the insight.

@Donlou223   The A50 is not on the PM VoLTE whitelist.  A53 5G CWB4 & above) is on the VoLTE list.  Often, but not always, the phones not on PM's VoLTE list seem to have the same problem for US customers there as well.  It looks like you will need to try and connect to T-Mobile's 2G network for voice calls where available.

Donlou223

Yes phone is 4G LTE. Samsung A50.

Donlou223

You are correct my phone is not volte enabled but is supposed to have the capabilty. It is a Samsung A50 but the toggle does not appear under mobile networks. I also have a Samsung A53 with the same issue. I wonder if its not a sim card issue.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Donlou223   There's only T-Mobile and AT&T for Public Mobile roaming.  If it isn't a VoLTE problem then is your phone on 4G/LTE?  There is a problem with 5G on one of them (AT&T I think) so if you are set to 5G then drop it down to 4G/LTE.  If that doesn't work you are left with T-Mobile's 2G since there is no more 3G in the US.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

It sounds like your phone is not enabled for volte. It makes calling very limited to T-Mobile's old 2G GSM network which doesn't have the same coverage as volte. What's the make and model of the phone?

Need Help? Let's chat.