cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using phone in US with Canada/US plan

rayeeh
New in Town / Nouveau en Ville

I have the $34/month plan which includes "50GB Data within Canada and the US at 5G Speed" and "Unlimited Canada-US wide minutes and messaging plus unlimited international text and picture messaging++"

I am planning a road trip to the US (Washington and California) for the next couple of weeks and I was wondering if I need to do anything extra in terms of adjusting settings on my phone to make use of the data and phone calls usage in the US.

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3

@slusagm wrote:

not much you need to do.  Just 

• you will still receive a text about buying roaming add-on when you enter US, just ignore.  Everyone gets that
  • turn on roaming mobile data on your phone
  • make sure you phone connects to T-Mobile or AT&T or Verizon.  if not, you can try manual connect.  Or if connection not works well, try connect all 3 and stays with the best one
  • change network mode to 4G or LTE if Automatic network mode does not work well

Add also enable roaming data.  😁

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

@rayeeh wrote:

I have the $34/month plan which includes "50GB Data within Canada and the US at 5G Speed" and "Unlimited Canada-US wide minutes and messaging plus unlimited international text and picture messaging++"

I am planning a road trip to the US (Washington and California) for the next couple of weeks and I was wondering if I need to do anything extra in terms of adjusting settings on my phone to make use of the data and phone calls usage in the US.

Thank you!

Hello @rayeeh 

If you have your network settings on Automatic, I have found when I go to the US it automatically connects to AT&T. Not usually a problem. But sometimes I find T-Mobile to be more reliable. So I just go into my network settings and turn off automatic and pick T-Mobile. I make sure my Data Roaming is turned on and then I just reboot my phone. Then there should be no issues at all. However, your phone should have VoLTE enabled. There are a lot of phones out there that work great on PM in Canada but because Public Mobile only allows a very small list of phones to be used, they won't work in the US. Which phone do you have? Just to make sure it will work down there.

Enjoy your trip to Cali.  California love!!!

slusagm
Mayor / Maire

not much you need to do.  Just 

• you will still receive a text about buying roaming add-on when you enter US, just ignore.  Everyone gets that
  • turn on roaming mobile data on your phone
  • make sure you phone connects to T-Mobile or AT&T or Verizon.  if not, you can try manual connect.  Or if connection not works well, try connect all 3 and stays with the best one
  • change network mode to 4G or LTE if Automatic network mode does not work well
Need Help? Let's chat.