cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent! Need help on DoS (denial of service) attack, how to stop random calls coming in?

va3lim
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My daughter's phone is being bombarded with random non-stop phone calls every few 2-5 seconds since this morning.  It is very similar to DoS attack, instead on computer, this one is happening on a mobile phone.  

Any ideas?  Thanks.

19 REPLIES 19

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ale267 wrote:

1. Create a "Scam" contact.

2. Add all numbers pertaining to DoS.

3. Block the contact and mute it.

4. Add all other scam numbers to the same contact.

I have a large list and would share it if necessary, but, PB suppose to block them at the first hand, but they don't. How PB mitigate the issue?

@ale267 first off, this thread has been dormant for 7 months or so, so I don't think the original poster is still waiting for advice.

But next up: no, Public Mobile does not block spam calls, so I'm not sure where you got that impression.  Koodo and Telus (sibling and parent brands of Public Mobile) offer an optional "Call Control" feature on their post-paid plans which can (and I can attest does) prevent the vast majority of these nuisance calls from getting to you or your voicemail, but no such feature is offered to pre-paid Koodo, pre-paid Telus, or Public Mobile (which is entirely pre-paid) customers.  There is a related technology that blocks some spam calls, but only where the number the spammer is spoofing is a malformed/invalid phone number.  Unfortunately, this on its own does little.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ale267

1. Create a "Scam" contact.

2. Add all numbers pertaining to DoS.

3. Block the contact and mute it.

4. Add all other scam numbers to the same contact.

I have a large list and would share it if necessary, but, PB suppose to block them at the first hand, but they don't. How PB mitigate the issue?

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@LurganIeUk wrote:

If you are changing number....call a few back before you do the change and ask what number are they calling, as you suggest. 

Good idea but just to be safe - don't forget to block your number when making these calls. If your using your home landline you can do this by first punching in * and some other number that I forget but maybe another member can advise.

@va3lim 

Although you have solved the issue by changing numbers this thread created by @Nezgar  may help in the future for yourself and others or just give you some comic relief during stressful moments.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Lenny-the-Telemarketers-worst-nigh...

For Do Not Disturb on iPhone you have to turn it on, take some options and set the time for do no disturb to to ON. 

I have heard that there prank apps as mentioned but also sounds that some real busy number has inadvertently forwarded calls to your daughters number on purpose or by error?

If you are changing number....call a few back before you do the change and ask what number are they calling, as you suggest. 

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@va3lim wrote:

My daughter's phone is being bombarded with random non-stop phone calls every few 2-5 seconds since this morning.  It is very similar to DoS attack, instead on computer, this one is happening on a mobile phone.  

Any ideas?  Thanks.

First of all calls can not be received every 2-5 second the system just can't handle that but I understand it seems like every few seconds. There are several ways to deal with this such as activating the  "Silence Calls from unknown callers" that is exactly what you want to do anyways. --------------------------- What I do is screen my calls by  activating the 'I'm Driving now respond with text" this can be frustrating to spammers and jokers because they would  receive as many responses as they are sending. In your case the jokers would get their text app flooded with texts all saying the same thing - such as can't talk right now or whatever else you may want to say.

@va3lim tell your daughter to check her apps and delete all the apps that she doesn't use or never remembered installing. it sounds like your daughter is being pranked...

@va3lim 

You would probably hear back from a moderator in 2 to 4 hours so anytime now to the next 2 hours. Keep an eye on the envelope icon next to your avatar at the top right corner of your screen for a little number to pop up indicating a message from the moderators.

However if your daughters phone number isn't that important to keep using the change number feature is an option. You could also temporarily suspend it using the lost/stolen feature in her account until you hear back from the moderators.

va3lim

For all people who tried to help here, thank you so much.  I have not heard back from any moderators, so I have decided to change my daughter's mobile phone number.

va3lim

Yes, she has "Do not disturb" enabled on her iPhone, but somehow the calls & text messages still keep coming ... you will get phone call, then text message, then phone call, etc. on top of each other, it's difficult to use the phone.  It's really like a "DoS" attack, it's very annoying.  Not only that, somehow other people are also getting calls from her phone (not 100% sure), because she's getting text messages from strangers saying "can't take her call right now ...", "can I call you back", "in a meeting", etc..  For curiosity, I picked up one of the calls, it seems legit (not spammer), there was a "live" person on the other line, he was looking for someone, I told him that I'm not sure why many phone calls somehow got routed to my daughter's phone.  I forgot to ask him what phone number he dialed.

What about do not disturb 24/7 and only allow favourites or all contacts. She would have to build a contact list if not already. 

va3lim

Thanks, but the "Silence Unknown Callers" feature on iPhone requires iOS 13.  She has an old iPhone which runs iOS 12, so she won't be able to use that feature.

Number change is done through “My Account” and is free every 30 days. 

va3lim

Thanks for the change number suggestion, if there's no other way to stop this attack, I guess she has no choice but to change her phone number.

va3lim

Thanks, I've sent a private message to Moderator Team.

That is horrible. 

By by any chance has your daughter given out her number or singed up to something using her number?

Perhaps you should change her number?

If iPhone there is an option to deny any caller that is NOT in the contacts  list. 

Also try. 

Call Blocking

Just keep blocking. Eventually you will get it under control.

Keep in mind you may be blocking legitimate numbers as these callers “may” use legitimate numbers. It is called “Spoofing” which consists of altering the caller ID to show a different numberthan the one actually being used for making the telephone call. This is frequently done to mislead the person receiving the telephone call into believing that the call is either local, or from a trusted organization.

So before you block check your contact list to make sure you are not  blocking a number you would expect a call from. Also Google 800Notes and can confirm, sometimes, if it is a call that you absolutely don’t want. I have had a call from my own number. They spoof a number that is in your calling area to make you feel more confident to answer. 

I don’t recommend registering with a DO NOT CALL LIST. It puts your number on a list that callers CAN call you. SEE HERE

THE BEST WAY TO CONTROL IS TO CONTROL YOURSELF.

Also....be very suspect of a SCAM call if your caller ID only shows a number and no name. The name often comes from YOUR contact list on your device.

Keep your contact lists up to date AND block, block and block some more!!

😀Changing your number is not a good idea if it was previously used. 😀

I too would also suggest to use the DO NOT DISTURB settings on your phone as well and make sure you set what options work best for you. If iPhone see here. 

LurganIeUk_0-1599584391932.png

Also SEE HERE for more information on blocking calls on both Android and iOS devices.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/11/15/how-to-identify-block-spamc-calls-ios-android/

Copyright 2020

va3lim

It seems most calls are local numbers from 416, 647, 705 area codes.  

Just noticed that her phone is also getting random text messages every 2-5 seconds as well non-stop.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Try contacting a moderator.

Here’s when and how to contact the Moderator Team:

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@va3lim there is an app for Android/iphone called Truecaller. this also blocks sms if you would like.

or 

login to her self serve account and change her number. you can do this once every 30 days

change pass,sim,number~2.jpeg

tell her to be careful who she gives her number out too. this is a method used to disrupt scam call centers

Need Help? Let's chat.