cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreliable Data

haveaquestion
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I use public mobile data to run internet to my laptop that I use for a software. The internet needs to be available at all times through out the day. However this is not the case. It was working fine until about a month ago. The internet is connected via hotspot/bluetooth. Any ideas of how to fix connectivity issue?

7 REPLIES 7

haveaquestion

That's correct. The laptop doesn't have wifi available.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I wonder about timeouts of the bluetooth and cell data and hotspot connections. Maybe for lack of activity.

Not sure about bluetooth metered connection but it is something for wifi. The connecting device can be set to know it's using a metered connection. ie. on cell data. So that it's not doing any updates or whatever over the internet connection that is using cell data so as to conserve data.

So the phone always stays on. The laptop always stays on . No timeouts. No sleep.

Can you explain why you would choose the bluetooth connection over wifi? Does the laptop not have wifi?

haveaquestion

Can you explain what you mean by timeouts?

Laptop and phone are set to always be on so that isn't the issue. And I have plenty of data so that isn't the issue either.

I did not set up so it know it is a metered internet. How is that done?

haveaquestion

Hotspot/bluetooth seem to work fine. Not sure if it's the data or bluetooth that is the problem. The phone is an iPhone.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I might be looking at timeouts either on the laptop or the phone. Maybe after periods of inactivity ie. no data being transmitted, then it turns off the radios. Or the laptop or phone "sleep". Maybe you're using all your data. Did you set the option on the laptop to let it know it's connected to a metered internet?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@haveaquestion 

is the hotspot/bluetooth not working at all? or just "unreliable", on and off?

are you on Android or iPhone?  If Android, check the APN settings, especially the line about DUN below:

APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy:
Port:
Username: <blank>
Password: <blank>
Server:
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS Proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca
MMS Port: 8799
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication Type: Not Set
APN Type: default,supl,mms
         or    default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
           (might need to include DUN for hotspot, please note case sensitive)
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
                or  Turn APN on/off APN turned on
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO (Mobile virtual network operator) type: GID
MVNO (Mobile virtual network operator)value: 4D

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@haveaquestion 

trey the sim in a different phone, then restart the hotspot on that phone to see if the issue isn't just a phone related issue rather than anything else.

Need Help? Let's chat.