cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to make or receive voice calls

justinrggauthie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@CS_AgentI have been using PM on an older iPhone 4s with no issues for nearly 2 months. I just switched the SIM card to a Samsung Galaxy S7 that was originally from StraightTalk, a US provider. It is an unlocked device and not on contract. I am able to use the internet and text message with the Galaxy S7 after inputting the proper APN settings, but cannot make or receive voice calls. My calls outbound immediately are dropped before dialing, and inbound calls go straight to voicemail. Dialing outward to voice mail also does not work.

Other threads mention making changes in the LTE band (or something along those lines) by dialing *#2263#, but i am unable to dial that number either, as the call will not go through.

Looking for any help as I need to be able to make voice calls ASAP 🙂

15 REPLIES 15

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@justinrggauthie wrote:

That mostly makes sense, but do you know why the phone can still access data and text just fine if it's not at all compatible?

@justinrggauthie oh, because data and texting can operate over LTE.  Sorry I should have said not at all compatible for phone calls, and not for anything anywhere where an LTE signal is not available.  Compatible phones can fall back to HSPA+ (UMTS 3G) when LTE is unavailable, and use UMTS for phone calls.  The Verizon version of this phone lacks UMTS compatbility and instead includes CDMA, which is not useful with any Canadian carrier.  If you want to purchase a US phone, you're better to choose one that is from/compatible with AT&T or T-Mobile.  Those will work well here (provided they're unlocked of course).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@justinrggauthie wrote:

the exact model is SM-G930VL, which I can only find on the StraightTalk website: https://shop.straighttalk.com/shop/en/straighttalk/phones/samsung-galaxy-s7-(g930vl)-stsag930vcp-p

While I am not at all familiar with the Samsung Galaxy family of products, many wireless devices I've come across will have model or part numbers denoting Verizon-specific radios in the model -- in your case I think G930VL likely means Verizon LTE.  Purely an educated guess on my part, based on model numbers of stuff I've come across.  So my guess is that a G930 (might be followed by other letters, but hopefully not V) would work on PM.

For that reason if I ever buy a device (e.g. from eBay, etc.), I avoid anything that mentions Verizon.

@justinrggauthie wrote:

That mostly makes sense, but do you know why the phone can still access data and text just fine if it's not at all compatible?

It is compatible, but only with data and texting services (unless can find a way to enable umts networks).  I'm uncertain if this is a software block or if the device lacks needed hardware.

justinrggauthie

I looked at this site, and my specific model isn't listed there. Not sure if it makes a difference, but the exact model is SM-G930VL, which I can only find on the StraightTalk website: https://shop.straighttalk.com/shop/en/straighttalk/phones/samsung-galaxy-s7-(g930vl)-stsag930vcp-p

justinrggauthie

@justinrggauthie wrote:

StraightTalk is an MNVO that operates under Tracphone Wireless in the USA, and they have contracts to use various networks in the USA depending on location. For me, StraightTalk with using Verizon towers was the best option based on my location. This phone can work in CDMA and LTE networks as it is unlocked. So it is 'officially' compatible with PM, as somehow I can text and use data... but not voice call since PM doesn't use LTE.

I'm not sure what else to do if PM can't use LTE for voice calls.

I believe that even if Public Mobile has VoLTE, that it still wouldn't work.  This feature, along with Wi-Fi calling usually only work on devices sold as device for use with that same carrier.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Unfortunately the Verizon version of the S7 (I'm assuming you've got a G935V https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s7_edge_(usa)-7961.php#g935v) is not at all compatible with Public Mobile. 

EDIT: okay I realize now I had the tab open too long and many have already replied with this info.  Sorry!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

justinrggauthie

StraightTalk is an MNVO that operates under Tracphone Wireless in the USA, and they have contracts to use various networks in the USA depending on location. For me, StraightTalk with using Verizon towers was the best option based on my location. This phone can work in CDMA and LTE networks as it is unlocked. So it is 'officially' compatible with PM, as somehow I can text and use data... but not voice call since PM doesn't use LTE.

I'm not sure what else to do if PM can't use LTE for voice calls.

justinrggauthie

That number does not work. So maybe this device isn't compatible at all with PM since voice calls don't use LTE.

@justinrggauthie wrote:

The 2 options in the preferred network mode are 'LTE' and 'LTE/CDMA', as this was previously a StraightTalk device that used CDMA Verizon towers in the USA. 

When I select 'CDMA' I have no service, I assume because PM uses GSM/LTE.

Is there no way to make thiis CDMA phone function on the PM network then?

Well, there's your pronlem right there, if the LTE mode is only LTE.  In it's factory configuaration, your phone appears incompatble with voice.  Usually, prefered network setting just sets the maximum speed/fastest network type, but I do not know what Samsung and Straight Talk may have had the software ptogrammed. On my device (a different brand and model), they've changed the wording to "network mode" and list every allowed network type.

In addition, Public Mobile is using LTE (data only) and 3g (voice and data), but does not have 2g GSM at all.  Does *#*#4636#*#* work on your devic If it does, look for a setting that allows UMTS/WCDMA/3g networks.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@justinrggauthie wrote:

The 2 options in the preferred network mode are 'LTE' and 'LTE/CDMA', as this was previously a StraightTalk device that used CDMA Verizon towers in the USA. 

In Canada, all carriers shut down the CDMA network last summer (2017), so CDMA is definitely not an option.

You mention StraightTalk using the Verizon network; was StraightTalk a subsidiary of Verizon?  Verizon is a tricky network to get onto (only IMEIs in their database are "allowed" onto their network, and their devices often have a radio that's somehow only compatible with their network*).  In fact, during SIM card activation, the SIM is often "married" to the IMEI of the phone it's put into, so changing phones often requires jumping through a few hoops.

I say this only from experience at a hardware level; my company installs GPS tracking devices into vehicles, and we have to inventory 2 SKUs... one specifically for Verizon, and another for any other carrier in Canada/US.  And the two aren't interchangeable.

justinrggauthie

@justinrggauthie wrote:

Thanks @computergeek541, i hadn't realized that. 

Do you know if it's possible to make a Galaxy S7 make phone calls on a 3G network?

Do I simply turn off VoLTE?

It wouldn't harm things to turn off voice over lte, but I do not believe that enabling that would disable 3g network phone calls.  You'll want to look for Prefered Network Type settings in your menus.  Make sure that it doesn't say "LTE only".   You'll likely want to set it to something worded along the lines of LTE/UMTS/GSM Auto.

justinrggauthie

Thanks @computergeek541, i hadn't realized that. 

Do you know if it's possible to make a Galaxy S7 make phone calls on a 3G network?

Do I simply turn off VoLTE?

@justinrggauthie wrote:

@CS_AgentI have been using PM on an older iPhone 4s with no issues for nearly 2 months. I just switched the SIM card to a Samsung Galaxy S7 that was originally from StraightTalk, a US provider. It is an unlocked device and not on contract. I am able to use the internet and text message with the Galaxy S7 after inputting the proper APN settings, but cannot make or receive voice calls. My calls outbound immediately are dropped before dialing, and inbound calls go straight to voicemail. Dialing outward to voice mail also does not work.

Other threads mention making changes in the LTE band (or something along those lines) by dialing *#2263#, but i am unable to dial that number either, as the call will not go through.

Looking for any help as I need to be able to make voice calls ASAP 🙂

Moderators may be able to offer advice, but when a situaton isn't an account related issue, there isn't anything much more than that they can do other than that.

Since calls work using your other phone, your service would appear to be working fine.

I would take a guess that this would almost certainly be a case of your S7 not connecting to the 3g network.  No amount of making changes to LTE bands will fix your issue since Public Mobile doesn't allow phone calls on the LTE network. You want to make sure that you UMTS-type networks enable within the  network settings.

Need Help? Let's chat.