cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Receive 2FA SMS in Japan with Public Mobile Number

motoki
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, I am currently using a Public Mobile phone number from Canada, but I am unable to receive two-factor authentication (2FA) SMS while in Japan. Could anyone please advise me on how to resolve this issue or suggest alternative methods to receive 2FA verification codes? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

EX. CIBC or EQ Bank... 

5 REPLIES 5

@PhoneHome8932 wrote:

Hi. You may be able to turn on RCS chat in settings in newest Messages app on an Android phone. RCS chats go over the internet , so will work over a WIFI connection without a network connection.

I tried it and it worked for me. I hope it works for you.

That's interesting as RCS requires both parties to have that activated. I do wonder if the specific bank that you're using is using the RCS chat service.

PhoneHome8932
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi. You may be able to turn on RCS chat in settings in newest Messages app on an Android phone. RCS chats go over the internet , so will work over a WIFI connection without a network connection.

I tried it and it worked for me. I hope it works for you.

Void
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

For CIBC, their mobile app can be used as authenticator instead of SMS. Although, you need to be authenticated in the first place to set that up. So, yes, best bet is to call CIBC, I guess.

vancity778
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You can’t because PM doesn’t offer international roaming. You’ll need to deal with CIBC to see if there’s any alternative, which is unlikely since they don’t send codes via email. 

motoki
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Chatr can receive text messages worldwide, but is it difficult for Public Mobile?

>Unlimited Text to Canada, US & International

Send text, picture, and video messaging to Canadian, US, and international mobile phone numbers. Premium messages (international alerts, content-related messages, and promotions) are excluded.

Need Help? Let's chat.