cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Umidigi A9 Not on cell phone list

larryc1234
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello - I just bought a Umidigi A9 on Amazon and I see that it is not on the list of cell phones that are compatible with the Public Mobile network.  Is this because it is a new phone and not yet listed on the PM network.  Will I still be able to access PM with this new phone?

8 REPLIES 8

thanks @Sunson5  for coming back with your copy of APN

Umidigi seems to have some issue with updating APN all the time.  

Sunson5
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a Umidigi A9 from Amazon running Android 11 and it is now working great on Public Mobile. I can use Data, Send Texts with Pictures and Make & Receive Calls.

It was not easy to get it working though!! The problem is knowing what settings that are needed to be added to the Umidigi Cell Phone.

**The Access Point Name (APN) settings need to be entered exactly and correctly to allow the Umidigi cell phone to work with Public Mobile.**

To access the APN settings go to Settings; Network & Internet; Mobile network; Advanced, scroll down to Access Point Names; Push + at the top of the screen.

Now you can make an Access Point.( Name it whatever you like)

Here are the settings that work for me:

APN 1.jpgAPN 2.jpg

Sorry for the small print but I was afraid to type it as it is very easy to make a typo. Every character must be entered as above and spelled correctly!!

Hope this clears up your concerns about Umidigi Cell Phones. Now that I have had my A9 working for a month I am very pleased with it. I hope you enjoy yours.

I am sure there are other cell phones out there that also need to have an Access Point Name (APN) added.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@larryc1234 : A retailer wouldn't sell a phone for the Canadian market if it wasn't compatible with most networks.

This one is no exception. It'll work fine.

@LeePublic wrote:

@larryc1234 If it says it is compatible with Telus (parent company of PM) or Bell, then it should work 99+%.

I wouldn't say that. Any compability checking website's database will list a phone as comaptible with Bell or Telus simply based on LTE compatibility.  A phone being compatible with LTE that Public Mobile's network uses does not neccessarily mean that voice calls will work on that device.  The "3g"/HSPA compatibility factor is key.

@hTideGnow wrote:

Yes, Umidigi A9 is compatible according to Kimovil

hTideGnow_0-1631593757321.png

As always, I would recommend checking this information at multiple sources.  Websites/databases do have mistakes.  The information from the above screenshot is a good sign, but I do a see an issue in the sense that the website's information is incomplete.  Band 2 (1900MHz) is heavily used for LTE on the ntetwork that Public Mobile uses, but they give no indication of that.

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@larryc1234 If it says it is compatible with Telus (parent company of PM) or Bell, then it should work 99+%.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Yes, Umidigi A9 is compatible according to Kimovil

hTideGnow_0-1631593757321.png

@larryc1234 wrote:

Hello - I just bought a Umidigi A9 on Amazon and I see that it is not on the list of cell phones that are compatible with the Public Mobile network.  Is this because it is a new phone and not yet listed on the PM network.  Will I still be able to access PM with this new phone?

Device compatibility lists will never be complete, nor is it being on Public Mobile's list a requirement to use it.  The device, however, does need to be compatible.  There can be different versions of a model marketed under the same name, so it's important to ensure that your device is compatible with at least UMTS 850MHz (band 5) and UMTS 1900MHz (band 2).  This is abosolutely required or phone call service will not work at Public Mobile.  This type of network can also be used for both data and text messaging services.  I would also recommend checking to ensure that the device has LTE compability on at least 1700MHz (band 4), although this is a not an absolute neccessity.

Need Help? Let's chat.