cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USA

Leroy7496
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm going to Los Angeles next week. I have a free calling to the US plan. Will my phone work there? Will there be roaming charges? 

10 REPLIES 10

Trenta

To turn on roaming:

On an  iPhone go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options

On Android, go to Settings > Network  & Internet

or swipe down from top of any screen and select Network > then find settings (gear) button beside the network name.

I just returned from LA a few days ago. With the new PM CAN-US wide voice and data plan, everything works great. You won't get roaming charges. Note that you also need to select T-Mobile or AT&T or else it won't work (don't use Verizon). On an Android phone, deselect Automatic Network and select T-Mobile. That seemed to work better than AT&T in the LA area for both my Android and my wife's iPhone. On the iPhone it's Settings > Cellular > Network Selection.

@Leroy7496   VoLTE is Voice over LTE which is needed in the USA because they do not have 3G networks any more.  Canada still uses 3G so a phone may work fine here but not in the USA.  You can check the Public Mobile VoLTE list to see if your phone is on it, although some will have VoLTE that are not explicitly mentioned.  

Volte list:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte 

You may or may not have a toggle for VoLTE in the phone settings but it would still depend on whether the phone is enabled by Public Mobile even if toggled on.  Data and texting should still work regardless.

@Leroy7496 

Turn on Voice on LTE (4G) if you phone have this feature in you cellular Voice &. Data settings.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Leroy7496 

If the free USA calling was the More is Merrier bonus promo. You can only make calls to the US while in Canada.

No you won’t be charged for roaming. Your phone can only receive text. No service in the USA unless you purchase a Roaming bundle Add-on.

Or you can use WhatsApp or TextNow app for free calling and texting in any free wifi.

@Leroy7496 

what make / model is your cellphone ? Go in to your settings to enable Roaming...but let us know which phone you use for exact directions. PM has enabled volte in some..but not all phones. The volte is best option for use while in US.

hi @Leroy7496 what phone do you have? if you have the compatible phone with PM network, it is VoLTE enabled already and you don't need to do anything.  If it is not, then you will have to use T-Mobile 2G network for voice

Leroy7496

What is a volte enabled phone? How do I turn on roaming?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Leroy7496 

your phone should work for data, but voice is a maybe, what phone do you have?

to have roaming, you need to have a roaming add-on unless you already have Canada-US plan.  And make sure you turn on mobile roaming on your phone and manually connect to T-Mobile or AT&T

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Leroy7496   What plan do you have?  You need a Canada-US plan or add-on for the phone to work in the USA.  If by "free calling to the US plan" you mean you have is a US long distance calling minutes add-on then no it won't, it's just for calling to the US from within Canada.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Leroy7496 

if you have a Cdn/US plan you;'re good to go. Make suire you have a volte enabled phone for best talk-ability in US. Also, enabled Roaming Data in your settings. You won't have any surprise bills anytime with PM.

sp

Need Help? Let's chat.