cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US roaming issues

telustopublic
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

As stated on the PUblic Mobile website, problems with voice and text in the US when roaming due to dropping 3G networks will begin February 22, 2022. We did experience that this October and were very frustrated with our service. I have since changed my plan to 4G and am wondering if this will correct the US roaming problem in the New Year when I return south or will I need to look into a different carrier

6 REPLIES 6

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Being on a 4G plan makes zero difference, as PM still doesn't offer VoLTE.

PS even on your 3G plan you still accessed the 4G network by default; your speed was deliberately throttled though. 

@softech- Don't know, don't care 🙂 we're here. hairbag1 and I have quite definitively found that AT&T is not connectable whether with a roaming add-on or not and in two very different parts of the US.

As for messaging around here...well...we all know how that goes around here.

@dust2dust that's why I just said possibly. 

Honest, I still wonder was AT&T really dropped and PM never make the announcement.  

Do you know by chance if Koodo and Telus are both still  saying  that AT&T is a roaming partner ?

@softech- Please stop mentioning AT&T. It does not work. For anything.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@telustopublic PM voice service is only on 3G in Canada and 2G in US using T-Mobile 2G network.

there is still quiet some coverage for t-Mobile's 2G network,except it is not very reliable

(Add: check the T-Mobile 2G coverage map here: https://www.gsma.com/coverage/#466

What you can do as a workaround, is to get Roaming Data only and use VoIP app to make voice calls   Roaming Data is much more reliable as it uses T-Mobile LTE /4G network (or possibly AT&T network as well).  One good VoIP app is TextNow, you can make free calls (and texts) to Canada and US.  

Of course, instead of using roaming data, you can also buy local prepaid data and use the VoIP solution for voice/text as well

Outdoorsman
Mayor / Maire

@telustopublic hi changing plan to 4g will not help with your voice calls,another choice is to buy a travel sim while in the US 

Need Help? Let's chat.