cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Text/Talk/Roam

BJ69
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm heading out of country to the States for the first time. I'm going to get the US text/talk/data plan. Do I need to turn roaming on for it to work? Can I use my phone just like I do in Canada for talking and texting? Thank you 

7 REPLIES 7

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@BJ69   What phone do you have?   You should only need to change to 2G if your phone is not capable/enabled for VoLTE (voice over LTE).  This is because the USA no longer has any 3G network, unlike Canada.   The reason for not using 5G is that if you are on AT&T it may not work.

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

In your settings there is a section that says  Mobile Networks if you see a voice and data option you should be able to switch between 2G and 4G.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@BJ69  If iPhone in phone settings voice and data general >cellular >cellular data options >voice and data 

Handy1_0-1705791396980.png

BJ69
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you! Another question...how do I turn the 5G to 4G or 2G? 

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

@BJ69if you have issues, see below. 

If possible, put your phone to 4G/LTE and connect to T-Mobile or AT&T.   

If calls still don't work, put your phone to 2G and connect to T-Mobile. From the settings menu, turn on data roaming.

TheSterlinger
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yes you need roaming on. While you are in the United States make sure your phone is on 4G and if that doesn’t work the 2G. Your phone should be connected to T-Mobile or AT&T.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@BJ69  Yes turn data roaming on and set phone to 4G/LTE not 5G and connect to T mobile or AT&T . If you have issues with voice try phones 2G and connect to T mobile 

Need Help? Let's chat.