cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming

Irene5
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, the only roaming to the US is for 10 days at a time.

When I used it earlier this year, it worked fine. I wanted to extend it for another 10 days, but it never worked again after that. 

Will PM make it easier to use US roaming, let's say you can buy it for 30 days?

Or, will PM make it easier to extend roaming, so that after 10 days, you can buy a new 10 day period and it actually works?

Thanks. Irene

11 REPLIES 11

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@HALIMACS , oh yes, I do recall the last time i purchased a daily roaming service. It was not cheap, you are correct. But, I will give it the convenience factor, no doubt.

I suppose @esjliv , but do you know how much a per/day roaming model would cost?   The only real use for this might be for those 'daytrippers' crossing for a shopping trip, however with the price of fuel and Amazon being a huge source of stuff, those Canadian traditions of cross-border shopping trips are not what they used to be.

It would be much easier to simply bundle these US Roaming packages into 5-day increments (so 5, 10, 15, 20, etc) so folks could match their service needs with the duration of their trip.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Irene5 - 

Back in the day, when I was on a postpaid plan and travelling, the convenience of 1 day at a time roaming service/fee was really great.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could just turn on your roaming and have messages texted to you if whether or not you would like to be charged to use this service for a day for those short trips, or slight extensions of current 10 day trips.

We can't really answer your question, since we are all customers and members like you here on the forum. But you are not alone. It would be great to see a better ease of usability on this feature. Certainly there have been issues with the roaming addon purchase current model.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

It's useful to keep track of exactly the time you bought a talk add-on (bundled or alone). Then 240 hours later it expires and stops working. If you're keeping to the self-serve idea then at this point an option is to buy a different bundle or single from what you bought first. Yes you could ask the support people to buy the new 10 days. Otherwise, to stay self-serve and you want the same talk add-on then you need to wait up to 24 hours. That's where the confusing problem is.

But you can't have more than one active talk add-on. Different data amounts can be bought anytime. Again not the same one until 24 hours after expiry or with help.

I have not read here of problems with texting since a bug with that was fixed a couple years ago getting back home.

Irene5

It's a big problem for me. I really like PM, but since they have to no trustworthy roaming, I see myself going to another company.

What's the workaround? How do you do that?

Irene5

I want to keep my own number. I don't like buying a local sim card, nor using Textnow or something like that. I want roaming. I guess I have to switch companies if I want that.

Irene5

That's what I don't like about it: I have to wait 24 hours. Why? Not necessary. And earlier this year, I was in contact with several CSAs, and nobody was able to help me and set me up with roaming after the first 10 days. I don't trust that anymore.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Usually you have to wait 24 hours before buying another US roaming (talk) package. Contacting agent might eliminate this 24h hold.

As for extending from 10 to x days, I doubt they will offer that in the future as PM services are geared mostly to occasional use, emergency phones and similar activities.

For any longer US use it might become too expensive thus not many customers will be buying it.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Irene5 

It is a silly glitch with public mobile that after the expiry date of US roaming add-on there is a 24-hour period before which you can purchase the same add on again.

Some folks have avoided this by purchasing a different add-on (that still has the services needed) for the duration of a trip.

It is a silly workaround for a silly problem that public mobile desperately needs to address for trips extending 10-day durations.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

For trips to US with longer duration... consider getting a local sim and a cheap plan there. Walmart has some options to consider.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

I don't foresee them changing it beyond the 10 days, especially with the question marks about 3G, etc. With that said if you want to activate another 10 day add on immediately, although you can't do it through self serve and usually have to wait 24 hours, if you get in contact with a CSA, they can manually add it immediately (for future reference)

Need Help? Let's chat.