cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming Data-only vs Talk&Text

haiven
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm wondering if I purchase a data-only roaming add-on if I can use Facebook Messenger to send messages? Do I need Talk&Text if I only use Messenger for contacting people?

8 REPLIES 8

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @haiven   Yes, Facebook Messenger is something only use data, so it will work

Make sure you enabled Roaming data on your phone 

Also, download VoIP app TextNow or Fongo to make voice call for free

Korth
Mayor / Maire

You can use Facebook Messenger as your SMS message handler with text. This basically supplants your phone's built-in SMS handling app. These messages only require texting on your plan.

You can use Facebook Messenger as your general messaging app with data. This basically enables all of its extended features and functions. These messages only require data on your plan.

The app prefers messaging across data. Because this enables extra functionality and features. And because it sends your data to Facebook. By default, it will configure itself to prefer data and only use text when the sender/recipient uses text (ie: when the sender/recipient doesn't have Facebook Messenger installed).

You can change the message mode by hold-clicking a message (to choose recipient or transport mode) or in settings. PC versions of this app have some limits because they cannot natively support cellular SMS.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@haiven 

another way to look at this, in determining whether you wish to purchase “data only” or also “talk and text” is when you are connected to a Wi-Fi zone only, do all these features work?  

If they do, and they can function without a cellular connection (ie as they would on an old iPod or device with no SIM in it), then you only need the data add on to use there. 

@stonechucker wrote:

If you only need the data for your Messenger program, I would suggest getting a local Sim that has data only in the US. The cost will be much cheaper than getting a Roaming package for US data from public mobile.

@stonechucker , true! I don’t know how I forgot that, I lived there for several years before moving back here!

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@haiven wrote:

I'm wondering if I purchase a data-only roaming add-on if I can use Facebook Messenger to send messages? Do I need Talk&Text if I only use Messenger for contacting people?

@haiven , correct you would only need a US Roaming Data Add-on to use Facebook Messenger & to save data you can connect to Wi-Fi while there to do the same thing.

Do not purchase the add-on until the day you're going. The add-on starts as soon as you purchase it.

Edit: if you do need to make any calls while there the free TextNow app works great for that. I am just not sure how much data it uses!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@haiven , yes a data only add-on will allow social media apps to be used for audio/video chat.  There are also VOIP apps that can be used to make phone calls on data as well.  Take a look at talkatone app.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

If you only need the data for your Messenger program, I would suggest getting a local Sim that has data only in the US. The cost will be much cheaper than getting a Roaming package for US data from public mobile.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Talk is for talking through cellular. Text is for real SMS texting through cellular. Data is for connecting to the internet to do MMS and everything else on the internet.

Need Help? Let's chat.