cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U.S. add ons

gboyko
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I added data to my sons plan as he is traveling in the states for the next week. He burned through the data in a day. So I decided to add U.S. roaming text as a cheaper alternative for communication with us. It is listed on the account but it is not working for him.  He has an older iPhone 7 Plus

What am I missing?

15 REPLIES 15

gboyko

Thanks for your help @esjliv.   I received a text (green message) from him so it must be working now.

gboyko

@dust2dust , He was traveling on a bus that does not have wifi , so that's why the data got used,  I also think snapchat factored in too. 

The issue is being able to communicate with him when he doesn't have wifi.

I'm hoping the suggestions that were shared below will help figure out his US text package problem so it works.   I have forwarded the suggestions to him to try.  Now its just wait and see when he responds. 

Thank you for you help!

The school doesn't have wifi? Yes hotspotting will eat a lot of data. The device connecting to it likely wouldn't care that it's a limited internet connection. And then depending on the use of the internet ie. google docs.

gboyko

@hTideGnow, I wish there would have even been one FaceTime call😔. He might have to look at a prepaid. Thanks for the suggestion.  I just want to be able to send a quick “Hey Bud, how are things going?  Love you” text and receive the token one word response that teens send. Haha

gboyko

@esjliv I purchased US roaming data from public that he burned through basically day 1 of his trip. I can’t afford to keep adding data because I don’t know how much he will need. I though 1GB would be enough but I guess not. He said he wasn’t streaming video and he was  using his phone as a hot spot for school (google docs), but who knows. I’m not very good with this stuff. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

That's the thing about iMessage settings (and Android chat). They need the internet. If your son were connected to wifi then he could use iMessage.

So set the phone as mentioned and he can use the text roaming you bought.

I'm not sure if iMessage can convert out to a real text to a non-iOS device though.

@gboyko wrote:

Yes he is already in the states. He was originally set up with data and was using IMessage. He used it very quickly. Haha. I thought text might be a cheaper alternative. 

@gboyko  - not with Public Mobile if he is burning through data using iMessage.

Perhaps a separate US data SIM card would be most advantageous for him.

Hi @gboyko maybe too much facetime with you? 🤣

if he burns the data that quixk, ask him to buy local prepaid data , it is much cheaper that way.  Then use VoIP app for voice call for free

gboyko

Yes he is already in the states. He was originally set up with data and was using IMessage. He used it very quickly. Haha. I thought text might be a cheaper alternative. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@gboyko  - if you see the new type addon listed in his self serve ask your son to restart his phone or perform a reset of the device's network settings.

Also, if he is using iMessage that means he will need data or wifi to use texting.

So, if this is what he is using, ask him to turn iMessage off in the device settings, and enable SMS in the iphone settings.

edit - ah @dust2dust beat me to that last part. 👍

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Make sure the phone is using SMS. iMessage would otherwise need data whether wifi or cell.

gboyko

Will get him to give it a try. Thanks

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Is he already in USA?

Remember: US add-ons become active immediately and are valid for 10 days only. If he is still in Canada, counter is already active and he is losing days.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

T-Mobile may be the better option due to the 3g issues in the US

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Have him manually select either AT&T or T-Mobile..whichever works best where he is.

Also, ensure data roaming is enabled.

Need Help? Let's chat.