cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble receiving international sms

AudreyF
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi everyone

I'm having issues receiving international sms from various websites (e.g. identification SMS from my bank or website provider).

I've been having this issue for 2 weeks now. I had no issue receiving these sms in the past, and I've been with Public Mobile for at least 2 years now. I didn't change my phone number or my phone.

Is there anything I can do to receive these sms again? Any advice?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

@AudreyF   let us know how it turns out.  

This is a topic that comes up all the time but we usually don't know the end of the story  🙂

AudreyF

@AngelaBurke I didn't get any reply from Public Mobile yet.

@softech I doubt 2 financial institutions and 1 website provider all changed their protocols in the last 2 weeks. Looks like a Public Mobile problem to me. Anyway I opened a ticket. I'll keep you updated if a solution appears.

@AngelaBurke   There is a big chance that it is a problem from  the bank.  System text (2FA) are shortcodes and that the text might not even arrive here.  It might have worked before but some system changes on the bank side could have broken it.  

of course, it could be PM.  Maybe open a ticket with PM and see

But from experience, international system text using shortcodes are best effort only, PM, and all other carriers,  won't do much.  They will only troubleshoot if text are from an actual phone, not texts from system like 2FA texts

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@crochcunill, @AngelaBurke , @AudreyF 

Yes the first person above had this same problem from Spain. There was no update from them.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/I-can-not-receive-SMS-messages-from-a-cer...

AngelaBurke

Hi there I am having exactly the same issue I did check with my bank in Australia and they said the messages are being sent from there end. Mine started just in the last couple of weeks also have you had any luck getting through to anyone at Public mobile to help with this issue?

@AudreyF   There was another customer with a similar issue to yours who suddenly stopped receiving 2FA shortcode texts from a financial institution abroad even though he had had no problems prior. 

You can try removing the shortcode from your contacts and reboot the phone and then add it back and reboot or make sure that the shortcode hasn't changed from the sender's side and needs to be updated.

You could also ask customer support via chatbot if there's anything they can suggest.  Here's a link to chatbot:  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help

AudreyF

I was receiving these sms with no issue until early November. 

EDIT: I don't believe it's a problem with the source as I suddenly stopped receiving these sms from 3 different banking/web institutions. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@AudreyF   It is normal that system sms (like 2FA) from other countries might not work.  

It is usually a problem with the source.  Likely they have not setup properly to send text internationally

Another thing is were you able to get those text from your other provider before?

Need Help? Let's chat.