cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel to Austria this June

JohnDiSciullo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am planning to travel to Austria this June. What do I need to to to make sure my phone (messaging, calling, and data) works there? 

10 REPLIES 10

JohnDiSciullo

That's quite alright! Thanks for your response. I will definitely look into it.

@JohnDiSciullo 

Sorry for the late response. I haven’t purchased a SIM in Europe but have are some good info on where to purchase.

https://www.phonetravelwiz.com/buying-a-sim-card-in-austria-guide/ 

Have a great trip!

JohnDiSciullo

I just checked out the link you send me and it looks really awesome! Thanks so much for your response. I will purchase it a few weeks before I leave!

@JohnDiSciullo   

I used Three on my trip to Europe before.  Good one

You can buy it ahead via Amazon to get all prepared

https://www.amazon.ca/UK-Three-30GB-Unlimited-Destinations/dp/B0B5PJJSXM/ref=asc_df_B0B5PJJSXM/?tag=...

Fellow customer, fellow user, and one of the moderator/Oracle folks around here @Luddite seems to be a source of UK sims of a service that also roams in the EU.

JohnDiSciullo

Hi  BKNS27

Do you know if I can purchase a SIM that works in Austria from here in Canada so that way it will work upon arriving there at the airport? Or does it have to be purchased there in Austria?

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@JohnDiSciullo 

The other option is to use Wi-Fi areas and device apps on the device such as iMessage, FaceTime, or Android chat or Duo to do your communicating. 

If you're needing data for navigation, you can also download offline maps from Google Maps to use without a data connection when you are traveling.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

To answer your question in a literal sense, check that it's unlocked so you have the option to use another cell service from there. And that your phone is compatible with that service.

As mentioned, you can't use Public services there.

As mentioned about using a voip app like TextNow, you could forward all calls to that number to be able to answer those calls in TextNow. Forwarding texts is a bit more work. The phone needs a text forwarding app and the sim needs to be in a phone and it needs to be left on and charged up - in Canada.

There's no way to use Public plan data anywhere other than in Canada.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@JohnDiSciullo , Public Mobile offers US roaming only.  You will not be able to use this service while in Austria.  You will need to purchase a local service.  

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@JohnDiSciullo 

Purchase a local SIM there. Or you can use WhatsApp or TextNow app to make free calls and texting through wifi.

Need Help? Let's chat.