cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer of MTS phone number

eruthc
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I am about to activate my new SIM. I would like to still keep using my previous number from BellMTS but I’m skeptical that I may not be able to do that reading a post here that a provider doesn’t allow it. Does anyone have experience using their previous BellMTS mobile number?

Also, if I do that while its still active, will it cause problem? Please help me decide

thanks,

Ruth

10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aasha : There it is. After your test with your old SIM I was on the edge of my seat waiting for this post. 🙂 Glad to hear it's all good.

Aasha
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

After I confirmed yes, I thought the transfer was completed and took out the original sim and put the public one. But The services were not cancelled. About an hour ago, I found out about my mixed services. Now, it has completely transferred my number from fido to the public. Thank you

@Aasha wrote:

I also transferred my number from fido to public. And it has not caused me any problem, but the issue is it will take time to make a transfer from one service provider to another and the previous one needs to be active. I am currently waiting for my number to be transferred.

@Aasha ,

Your Community account was created 2 days ago. If that is when you activated and tried to have you fido number ported then I would connect with the Moderators as 2 days is too long for a cell porting.

Ensure you don't cancel your Fido account until the Public Mobile port is complete.

To contact the Public Mobile Moderator_Team, there are two ways to reach them:

1 -  Faster Method - Click the bubble comment circle on the bottom right hand side of your screen, or use this link to: Get Help With SIMon the Public Mobile chatbot

OR

2 – Slower Method - Use this link to:

Private Message to Public Mobile Moderators (PM Customer Service Representatives)

Aasha
Spoiler
@AnonymousYes, I just checked by putting in my original and the services are not working.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aasha : If you confirmed then you can put in the new SIM. The transfer shouldn't take long. If you put back your original then are those services still working? If so then your transfer might have failed.

Aasha

Thank you @Anonymous for reminding me that I need to have my prior sim. I almost took it out after confirming.

Yes, I got $10.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@eruthc : You should be able to do the transfer during the activation. You _could_ wait but you can also do it afterwards in the Change Number function.

To @Aasha and eruthc: Leave the prior SIM in to wait for a text from the previous provider to confirm the transfer.

And don't forget to use a referral code to get a $10 credit.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@eruthc are you in Manitoba? I see BellMTS operates there.

Maybe check out this thread for more info.:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Text-From-PM-About-Changes-To-Mani...

You could also check with a Moderator to see specific impacts, if they affect you.

To contact the Public Mobile Moderator_Team, there are two ways to reach them:

1 -  Faster Method - Click the bubble comment circle on the bottom right hand side of your screen, or use this link to: Get Help With SIMon the Public Mobile chatbot

You need a Self Serve account for this method to work. If you don't have one, use method 2.

OR

2 – Slower Method - Use this link to:

Private Message to Public Mobile Moderators (PM Customer Service Representatives)

Aasha

I also transferred my number from fido to public. And it has not caused me any problem, but the issue is it will take time to make a transfer from one service provider to another and the previous one needs to be active. I am currently waiting for my number to be transferred.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@eruthc , if you activate with Public Mobile selecting a new number on the activation, you will still be able to use your prior supplier's service.

Then, when you're ready to move service/number to Public Mobile, you can involve the Moderators to complete the port.

See here for process on porting and/or changing your number with Public Mobile:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

Need Help? Let's chat.