cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toll free number calling

Sunshine-754
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When calling from a cell phone to call 1800 or other newer codes 888, 877, 866, 855, 844, 833 is there a charge?

7 REPLIES 7

@pmmobile wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@Sunshine-754  If you are on the newer $15 plan with the unlimited incoming then calling toll free numbers do not use minutes.

For other limited calling plans best to verify it by checking your minutes counter on your selfserve page.

@geopublic  So basically, even though the new $15 plan has only 100 outgoing minutes, calling a toll free number (eg. bank) does not use up these minutes? Thanks! That's great if true

They're supposed to use minutes, just as they do at any other cellular carrier, but this is one of the strange quirks of Public Mobile.

pmmobile
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@geopublic wrote:

@Sunshine-754  If you are on the newer $15 plan with the unlimited incoming then calling toll free numbers do not use minutes.

For other limited calling plans best to verify it by checking your minutes counter on your selfserve page.

@geopublic  So basically, even though the new $15 plan has only 100 outgoing minutes, calling a toll free number (eg. bank) does not use up these minutes? Thanks! That's great if true

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dna2016 

Toll free numbers can be geographically limited by he who's paying. Why would a company limit their calling area? Cheap I guess. But it's an option.

I have found that on a limited minutes plan that toll frees don't consume minutes.

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Sunshine-754 no such thing as charges when you have service with Public Mobile.  Toll free numbers should work fine unless you're calling a number that is derived from outside Canada.  If you're on an unlimited talk plan and you're calling a Canada toll free number then the call will go through.  If you're on a plan that has minutes then you'll be using your outgoing minutes for the call.  If you run out of minutes then the call won't go through at all, if you're calling outside Canada without the appropriate long distance add-on then your call won't go through.  I'm mentioning this because I had to make a call to a toll free number over the summer, I think it was a 1-844 number, and the call didn't work, then I googled the company and realized their based in the U.S. and didn't have a Canadian connection, and I didn't have a US add-on.  PM does not have long distance charges or fees, so when you call it'll either go through or won't go through.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

If you are on unlimited plan no

If you are on metered 50 or 100 plan, it is counted towards your allowance

There have been reported that once your minutes are up your calls stop working, but calls to (at least some) 8xx numbers are still going through

Thanks

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

No

Need Help? Let's chat.