cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The local mobile phone number always reminds me of the long-distance mobile phone

cindy_zha
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My mobile phone number is a local number, but why the local mobile phone always calls the long-distance mobile phone number when calling this mobile phone

7 REPLIES 7

@gblackma wrote:

@computergeek541  what if @cindy_zha  has a lot of  local friends with landlines? Wouldn't knowing this information be beneficial? Thanks.

You're right for people calling the member. I was unsure what the person meant by saying "the local mobile phone number always reminds me...". The first part of that sounds like someone calling the member (an incoming call to the cell phone) but the "me" part sounds as if it's an error message when making and outgoing call from the cell phone.

@computergeek541  what if @cindy_zha  has a lot of  local friends with landlines? Wouldn't knowing this information be beneficial? Thanks.

@gblackma wrote:

@cindy_zha  one of the two numbers may not really be local to your area. Its the second set of numbers that determine whether your number is local or not. Ie xxx yyy xxxx. Please check the CNAC website to check if your number is local or not http://www.cnac.ca/co_codes/co_code_status.htm . If it isn't you can change your number to the desired local area code once each 30 day cycle through your self service account.

See screenshot below 

20200325_014121.jpg

I've mentioned this before, but remember that the phone number of the person making the outgoing call never makes a difference on a cell phone. Therefore, changing the phone number will not help the customer.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Compare the exchanges, that is the first 3 numbers after the area code. You can find where they are local on Wikipedia. Some areas codes longer 705 or 902 cover huge areas. 902 spans over couple of provinces and it's not hard too find two numbers with the same area code that are long distance to each other

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@cindy_zha 

The plans are Canada wide anyways

I recommend just dial 1 in front of the number you dial and ignore the message. 

Cheers

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@cindy_zha wrote:

My mobile phone number is a local number, but why the local mobile phone always calls the long-distance mobile phone number when calling this mobile phone

I am assuming those calls do connect if you ignore the message.

It's left over from the days when some calls between similar area codes were long distance. If it's too annoying add +1 to the numbers.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@cindy_zha  one of the two numbers may not really be local to your area. Its the second set of numbers that determine whether your number is local or not. Ie xxx yyy xxxx. Please check the CNAC website to check if your number is local or not http://www.cnac.ca/co_codes/co_code_status.htm . If it isn't you can change your number to the desired local area code once each 30 day cycle through your self service account.

See screenshot below 

20200325_014121.jpg

Need Help? Let's chat.