cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texts blocked by the operator?

lokriet
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm trying to set my number as a contact number in a bank in Russia. To login there I need to receive a text message from them.

I have a public mobile plan with unlimited international text messages, but I don't receive their texts. I called to the bank's tech support and they checked that the messages are being sent to the correct number. I asked a friend from Russia to send me a text and it was delivered, so receiving texts from Russia in general works fine.

Is there any chance that public mobile has some kind of block list and the bank's number got filtered somehow? And if yes is it possible to change that?

14 REPLIES 14

kmartynov

@lokriet wrote:

I created a ticket and got a reply " I am afraid that only text messages from Canadian  banks are accepted by our system."

Which is a bit strange seeing as people get messages from other banks. But oh well, I guess I can't do anything about it.

Whaaaat!? This is ridiculous. I know that everybody wants to filter out spam and phishing texts, but this is legit use of SMS. What if my bank is in USA. Or it's not even SMS from a bank!? 😡

@lokriet wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@lokriet  That is a disappointing response from the moderators and puzzling if other users have mentioned that it is possible, although I thought I had remembered reading that PM doesn't support some of the short codes international banks use to send texts. 

It is indeed. Even more so, since people who managed to receive the messages from that bank (with different mobile operator though) say that bank messages come from american +1 number, which you'd expect to be supported.. I'll try a different operator I guess, can't go without my bank account 😞

I can definitely sympathize with your situation and it's unfortunate that PM's service doesn't work for your needs so having to go to a different carrier that allows incoming texts from international banks makes sense.   Good luck:)

lokriet

@dabr wrote:

@lokriet  That is a disappointing response from the moderators and puzzling if other users have mentioned that it is possible, although I thought I had remembered reading that PM doesn't support some of the short codes international banks use to send texts. 

It is indeed. Even more so, since people who managed to receive the messages from that bank (with different mobile operator though) say that bank messages come from american +1 number, which you'd expect to be supported.. I'll try a different operator I guess, can't go without my bank account 😞

@lokriet wrote:

I created a ticket and got a reply " I am afraid that only text messages from Canadian  banks are accepted by our system."

Which is a bit strange seeing as people get messages from other banks. But oh well, I guess I can't do anything about it.

lokriet

@lokriet wrote:

Unfortunately everyone I can ask here has the same provider 😞 Thanks for the idea, maybe I'll find someone else to help with this one

@lokriet Hmm this is strange. Unfortunately, I don't have Tinkoff bank account, but just now I linked my PM number with Sberbank, and it worked well. Try to contact moderators. Click the "?" in lower right side of the page, type "contact moderator", and follow directions. They can restart your account, and it may help.

@lokriet wrote:

Unfortunately everyone I can ask here has the same provider 😞 Thanks for the idea, maybe I'll find someone else to help with this one

@lokriet  Have you submitted a ticket to moderators who are PM employees yet?  From what @Staliger  has said you should be able to receive those texts from your bank in Russia. 

At least you should get a definitive answer as to why you're not receiving those texts once you've submitted your ticket to moderators.

lokriet

lokriet

My fried is sending me texts in Russian, so that's not the problem

lokriet

Hi. It's Tinkoff. And I dictated the number as +1, and double-checked it on my second call to tech support, so it should be correct (hopefully..)

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@lokriet wrote:

I'm trying to set my number as a contact number in a bank in Russia. To login there I need to receive a text message from them.

I have a public mobile plan with unlimited international text messages, but I don't receive their texts. I called to the bank's tech support and they checked that the messages are being sent to the correct number. I asked a friend from Russia to send me a text and it was delivered, so receiving texts from Russia in general works fine.

Is there any chance that public mobile has some kind of block list and the bank's number got filtered somehow? And if yes is it possible to change that?

Hi, may I ask what Russian Bank you are trying to assign to your number? VTB24 worked for me pretty fine. I could receive SMS from it and link to my account a few weeks ago. Do you write the number as +1 ... ... .... ?

DOA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Perhaps because the bank is sending text messages in Cyrillic and your phone can't handle them?

Is your friend sending messages in English?

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Can you change your number in the bank to a different provider (friend of family member) as a way to test if it is public mobile/Koodo/Telus issue? If a bell line doesn't get the sms then you know the issue is on the Russian side of things.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@lokriet wrote:

I believe PM doesn't support those particular texts from international banks, although I'm not completely certain.  IIRC I have read other users posting about having similar issues.  Someone here will know for sure and hopefully respond soon.

You can also submit your question to moderators via SIMon here: https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/

Type 'rep', select 'contact us', select 'submit ticket' and follow the prompts to complete the ticket submission.

They should be able to let you know what is supported, although you may have to wait anywhere from 2-24 hours to hear back from the moderators.

Need Help? Let's chat.