cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texts and e-mails

agiudice
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a Nokia Lumia 635 phone and I cannot send or receive texts and e-mails. Any suggestions?

16 REPLIES 16

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@agiudice 

Very likely a DEVICE vs public mobile issue.

To be certain, can you try someone else's SIM card (perhaps from another provider) in your device to see if texting works?   Don't worry, this won't cause any issues - either it'll work, or it won't.   In doing this, you may need to add/remove an adapter around the physical SIM card from the other user as they come in 3 sizes.

THEN, you could try another person's Public Mobile SIM card in your device to see if services still don't work.  Then you can be somewhat certain that if their SIM card has full functionality in their device, but not yours, then it's most certainly a device issue (likely of incompatibility)

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@agiudice  - 

Try turning off your phone for a couple minutes. Then restart it.

1. Sending / receiving texts is one issue.

Does following this help at all? https://deviceguides.vodafone.ie/nokia/lumia-635/troubleshooting/basic-use/you-can-t-send-text-messa...

2.  But emails (you said through wifi) are a separate issue. 

Are you able to access your emails on another device through your wifi normally? Or access the internet on other websites?

Try following this to see if it helps: 

https://devicehelp.optus.com.au/nokia/lumia-635/troubleshooting/sms-mms-and-email/i-can-t-send-and-r...

agiudice

Thank you, checked out video.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@agiudice : Has cell data from here ever worked on this phone? Are you using an email client to access email? Or are you using webmail via the browser...(that might itself be in trouble).

I have an old Nokia Windows phone somewhere. The APN had it's own peculiarities.

@agiudice wrote:

with Wifi.

You have to check if Mobile Data working

Also, watch the video I sent you to find the exact version number.  The 2 versions are so different that one will certainly not work well on PM

agiudice

Thank you I have it on 3G but it still doesn't work.

agiudice

with Wifi.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's an old phone. It probably hasn't had security updates for a while. That's likely why the message.

But in the meantime for your texting...since texts work on LTE as well and your phone might be questionable for LTE:

swipe left
Settings
Network & Wireless
Mobile & SIM
SIM settings
Highest connection speed
Select 3G

@agiudice   are you browsing the internet via Wifi or Mobile Data?

agiudice

Calls work. I can browse internet but I get the message to upgrade my browser. I've tried but with no success.

@agiudice   First, where you bought it?

Second, check the video, you want to find out the RM model number, watch wait till 1:15 of this clip.. (the clip shows RM-985, you just need to check if yours is RM974 or 975)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1nV6Hkn7qQ

agiudice

Don't know where to find Global or US edition.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@agiudice : The global version is a tad light on LTE for here. Maybe change your settings to 3G or UMTS or WCDMA or HSPA. The US version might hold on to some towers here.

@agiudice  OK, I checked further, US version should be fine... as long as you have the US version.

Check the phone for the exact model number:  RM974 or RM975

Also, if you have a second phone, try to put the SIM in another phone to confirm if it is a device issue or account

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

But calls work?

Can you browse internet? Maybe data part is not that compatible with PM's bands.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

HI @agiudice   How was your voice quality and data?  Which edition you have ?  Global or US?

A brief look at the spec for Nokia Lumia 635 , it is not very compatible with PM, it only has 1 3G channel and 1 LTE channel compatible here.

Need Help? Let's chat.