cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting using cellular data

rory5
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

When I’m not using wifi and using cell data,  I am unable to receive texts or it takes a really long time (10 min)

9 REPLIES 9

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@rory5 

Just an FYI Telus call centres for example....

Hours

Monday to Sunday:
9am to 7pm
Please note:
We may be unable to accept calls placed near closing as we serve the remaining customers in the queue.

Otherwise you get to talk to their chatbot or use their community which may take you a few days to get an answer if you get an answer at all. Whereas at public mobile you will find someone in the community to help you 24/7. It may take you 10 minutes to get someone to help out at 3:00 a.m. but you will get a response from a live human being any time of the day.

@rory5 wrote:

If I can’t speak to a support person regarding my issue, gonna switch carriers where I can speak to a live person when needed.  

@rory5 - if you do not rule out the phone or plan first I don't feel customer support will help you any better.

But, you can find customer support contact methods in the Get Help section: 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

Or, go to the bottom of the community page and find 'Chatbot (SIMon)'.

@rory5 Sounds like your daughter is out of her 1GB plan data.

Unless she has never been able to use data before. Has she been able to use data and texting outside of wifi previously? I'm a bit unclear about that.

If she does have data remaining - Perform a Reset of the device's Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, VPN and APN settings, and connected Bluetooth devices that you've used before.

Iphone:

To Reset Network Settings, begin by opening the Settings app. Next, tap General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings. and enter your passcode.

Your iPhone will reset network settings and restart itself.

android:

Find and tap Settings > System > Advanced > Reset options > Reset network settings.

If she doesn't have data left, she will need a data addon, or change plan or renew plan early if she needs data.

Or wait until the plan renews to replenish the plan data.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@rory5 

Is mobile data enabled? Did you update the carrier profile when you got the iPhone?

Log in to her account and click on the little spinner refresh icons lower down and see if there is in fact data left. Or use private mode.

rory5
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My daughter is unable to receive texts when using cellular data.  She has 1GB remaining, acct is in good standing (she receives texts as soon as wifi is turned on), SMS and MMS on her new iPhone are enabled.  Tried to send a text in our home which has a strong signal with no success.  If I can’t speak to a support person regarding my issue, gonna switch carriers where I can speak to a live person when needed.  

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@rory5 

Both iMessage and Chat Features require a wifi connection or data to send/receive texts.

• if iMessage and you are out of data for your current cycle be sure to have SMS and MMS enabled in the settings of your device.
  • if you are using android and you use Chat Features, then I suggest you turn that off.

Disable your Chat Features: 

1. Open Messages
  2. Tap More options > Settings > Chat features
  3. Turn Enable chat features off

@rory5 wrote:

When I’m not using wifi and using cell data,  I am unable to receive texts or it takes a really long time (10 min)

This could be an issue of weak cellular signal.  SMS Text mesaging doesn't use Wi-Fi or mobile data. You can disable iMessage or Google's chat feature to see if that helps.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

iphone? Do you have data left on your account?

Need Help? Let's chat.