cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text

leelo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I currently have the $20 unlimited provincial talk plan. I was trying to use FaceTime on my iPhone and it needed to text a code to my phone. However, I couldn't receive the code it said because I don't have text messaging in my plan. Aren't incoming texts messages free? Do I have to change my plan just to receive this one text message? Looks like my plan is grandfathered in and I won't be able to get it anymore if I change it. Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

leelo

I agree. Now have to teach my 89 year old dad how to use the old iPhone. Lol. Have a good one.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@leelo no worries.  I've got the same plan for my mother (in her early 80's).  It is indeed a great value.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

leelo

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation. I ended up upgrading to the $25 plan for my dad. Although he doesn't use texting at his age, I couldn't download any apps on Apple without a code sent by text. 

The $25 plan is still a good deal nonetheless. Thanks again for responding back.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@leelo wrote:

Thanks. I will look into those links you sent. My plan below does not mention anything about texts. Sorry I was just comparing to other companies where the incoming texts are free. Appreciate the help 

20210415_063548.jpg

@leelo yes that's a plan that was discontinued quite some time ago.  Unfortunately, plans from that era that did not include texting would not be capable of receiving any texts, even automated system ones like the one Apple is trying to send you.  

Be aware that if you change your plan now, you will not be able to get back to the plan you were on since it is no longer actively available.  From your current plan, you may want to consider the $25 current plan.  Not only will it add texting, but it will also upgrade your unlimited calling from Province-wide to Canada-wide, and give you 1GB of data (assuming you use AutoPay, or 500MB without autopay). 

If you're tight on budget, the $15 plan could also be an option.  It also adds texting and a small amount of data (250MB if you're using AutoPay, or zero otherwise) and changes your calling to Canada-wide, but with a catch:  incoming calls would remain unlimited, but your outgoing would be limited to 100mins per 30 day cycle.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

leelo

Thanks. I will look into those links you sent. My plan below does not mention anything about texts. Sorry I was just comparing to other companies where the incoming texts are free. Appreciate the help 

20210415_063548.jpg

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@leelo wrote:

I currently have the $20 unlimited provincial talk plan. I was trying to use FaceTime on my iPhone and it needed to text a code to my phone. However, I couldn't receive the code it said because I don't have text messaging in my plan. Aren't incoming texts messages free? Do I have to change my plan just to receive this one text message? Looks like my plan is grandfathered in and I won't be able to get it anymore if I change it. Thanks.

@leelo 

IF you are on a grandfathered plan and you change it to a current in-market plan, that is correct, you will not be able to go back to this plan you are on now.

I am not familiar with the $20 details. Are incoming texts supposed to be unlimited?

Try:

• rebooting your device OR
  • toggling into and out of airplane mode help? OR
  • reset of network settings

FYI-All current plans with Public Mobile are unlimited INCOMING and OUTGOING texts to and from anywhere in the world, with services, (as long as you are in Canada).

Current plans:

esjliv_0-1618481117276.png

I have read there are issues with some short codes:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/What-short-codes-are-supported-by-Publi...

But not sure if this is the case here.

IF other trouble-shooting is failing, check with the Moderators:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/contact-a-moderator

Need Help? Let's chat.