cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus Number Porting...

LordSimonius
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Is there a technical or legislative change at the heart of the change in number porting policies? 

Since signing on with Public Mobile after being referred by my brother (I was a longtime Clearnet/Telus customer); I have referred many customers due to the huge savings.  I don't understand the latest changes in Telus/Koodo # porting...  I changed my parents (Telus customers) over at the beginning of January 2021 and no issue...  I tried (and succeeded 3 days later) to change my sister in-law (Telus customer) over this past weekend, end of January 2021, and we now have to go through a moderator!?!?!?  Since when do businesses try to make life more difficult for their potential customers?

Seems to me that Telus parent company is trying to stifle the loss in revenue, realizing most customers don't want or care about 4G/LTE/5G connection speeds (I typically get 3Mbps- plenty for 1 device watching HD stream or gaming); they just want fair pricing, especially in Ontario!

Any insight from someone "in the know" would be most appreciated... 

For someone who has brought more than a dozen new customers to PM and has done nothing but rave about price and value vs. connection speed; this latest experience with this "apparently" deliberate scheme to frustrate customers leaving Telus/Koodo (Big $$$ monthly bill customers) has left a sour taste in my mouth.

Thank you in advance for your response!

LordSimonius

12 REPLIES 12

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@dabr ok im submitting another ticket. This is bs.

@BearFBI   I've read a couple of other posts today suggesting they heard back from moderators within hours, so not really sure why you haven't heard back if the backlog of issues is reduced now.

BearFBI

@LordSimonius How long did it take for a mod to reply ? Im in the same boat and I'm still awaiting a response after 2 days. The change for postpaid moderator intervention is extremely inconvenient. They change it and can't even stay on top of their ticket inbox. No one should have to wait this long to port a number.

TheGx

@LordSimonius :Adding to what HALIMACS said, you can also tag the moderator team and anyone else you want to see this thread you created too, just add them by putting their names in the message tags field when you reply to this thread.

You certainly are not the only one asking the question, @LordSimonius 

You can always post their reply on the Community forum if others are unsatisfied with the responses @Dunkman & I appear to accept.

It is worthy of a direct reply from Public Mobile if users feel slighted by it.  Go for it!!!

EDIT:  You may wish to consider directing it to @Catherine_T    I might think that she can either respond, or alternatively, have the appropriate person do so.

LordSimonius

HALIMACS,

As much as I might get a quick answer, I could private message a PM staff, but I am not a fan of comments made or answers given in private regarding a question that is of value to this "public" community.  I would like PM to address the question in a public forum so others may benefit from the reply...  There is no way I am the only one asking this question.

I look at it a different way, @LordSimonius 

PM is protecting it's group of family customers by working together to prevent unauthorized porting.   They have no way to protect against other providers.  

If they were doing it to make things more difficult to move services from Telus/Koodo to Public Mobile, then I might think a prospective customer might elect to move to Chatr or Lucky instead (the competition's 3rd tiers)

Then they would entirely lose a customer.  So I feel their intentions are less maligned then may first appear.

LordSimonius

I agree Dunkman, but without confirmation from PM itself that this is a legitimate attempt to deter a significantly large number of illegitimate number ports within the same parent company, I can only assume this is about protecting the bottom line.

The porting option existed just weeks ago, now it is gone...?  It would seem that it would be easiest to verify even more customer information within the parent company with a simple opt-in style form; than it would be to try and verify that info from another company.

Seems like they don't like loosing 33%+ revenue per existing Telus customer vs. 100% gain in revenue from a competitor's customer.

LordSimonius

This seems to be an obstacle designed to make the process more unnerving for Telus/Koodo customers.  Most people I talk to are already nervous about changing providers, even within the same parent company.  I can't imagine how many people have decided to stop the change due to this uncertainty...  I have done multiple registrations (all but 3) and ports in the past and even I was a bit leery as I was doing this for someone who was nervous/anxious about possibly losing her current phone number and possibly being without service for an undetermined amount of time.  Seems like some psychology at play here and I don't like it.

@LordSimonius 

I agree that it is less convenient for Telus and Koodo customers.  Personally, I would prefer the ability to port myself if I was one of these customers.  

Since Telus, Koodo and Public mobile are under the same group of companies, Public mobile wants to protect Telus and Koodo customers from porting scams.  This adds additional layer of protection for these customers.  However, it does also add inconvenience and it more time consuming.  

Totally agree with you,  @LordSimonius 

You could try private messaging PM staff, who are indicated by the large PM by their names under users online.

It would be very interesting to read the messaging they would provide back.

(EDIT:  it may have something to do with preventing illegitimate porting which Public Mobile can only control within their family of companies.)

(Exactly like @Dunkman  just posted clearer than I while editing my reply. 👍)

softech
Oracle
Oracle
I have no insight and I do agree separating porting from Telus/Koodo is confusing for new users , too.. and yes.. discouraging too.

I would think, even there really need to be separate process, they should integrate on the activation website. Like put another field as to what the old provider is and have the system to direct it behind the scene to a moderator instead of this extra step.
Need Help? Let's chat.