cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxes charged on account

kathrynj
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My phone number is an ontario number but I live in Alberta. When my account renews it charges me taxes for Ontario not Alberta. How do I change this? 

6 REPLIES 6

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@kathrynj wrote:

My phone number is an ontario number but I live in Alberta. When my account renews it charges me taxes for Ontario not Alberta. How do I change this? 

Public Mobile's billing system bases the taxes on the phone number, that's all. So as long as you have an ON phone number, online or auto-payments will always charge ON HST. As @dust2dust mentioned, a good workaround is to purchase a payment vouncher in Alberta -- these are available at many gas stations and stores like Shell, Husky, Walmart, Canadian Tire, London Drugs, Superstore, etc.

If you have people in Alberta that you would like to be able to call you and they don't have a canada-wide long-distance calling plan, you can setup a cheap/free Alberta number with freephoneline.ca, fongo mobile, or TextNow that forwards to your ON number -- Otherwise the only official way is to change to an AB phone number...

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

A workaround is to buy vouchers in AB and enter them in the account. GST only.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@kathrynj , it might be worthwhile getting a number with AB area code unless you do business with the number and area code matters.  These days, practically all plans have Canada wide calling. Only those using old POTS plans are stuck paying long distance calling the neighbor across the street.  I have a number of friends that use AB numbers for their personal line just to reduce taxation.  

Outdoorsman
Mayor / Maire

@kathrynj hi you are taxed according to where your number originates if you want to be taxed per alberta taxes you will have to take an alberta number 

Need Help? Let's chat.