cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System time slow by 1 minute

Scotty2
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

So weird....starting this afternoon I noticed that the time on my phone is 1 minute slower than everyone else on other networks I have been texting.  I checked current time and indeed I am 1 minute behind.  I checked to make sure time is set to automatic (it was) and rebooted my phone.  Still 1 minute slow.  Looks like the time is driven from Public Mobile.  Anyone else having this issue and any idea how to resolve it?  So annoying as my texting is all put of order since I'm 1 minute behind everyone else's time lol.  Thanks!

22 REPLIES 22

@softech 

sorry it's COIN(tokens) on neo exchange. it just finished pumping. wait till it drops back down to about $1.70 if you're thinking of buying. I bought it at $1.00 and sold it at $3.60. 

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@dabr 

As much I want to add it to the non-existent Glitch list, it happens with other networks.  I've actually encountered this on non-Telus network on occasion.  I suspected it had to do with the phone signal and handshake (SYN-ACK concept) of sending and/or receiving the message than the time-sync itself. 

My friends have their phone times set to different times on purpose and that hasn't affected our ability to communicate via text messaging.  Text messages are generally timestamped by the phone than by the network (although that's a different story because there is a timing of SMS on the network, but not relevant to my point here).

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@BlueB wrote:

@dabr 

I'm going to say it's a rare event... it happens to me too, but rarely (unless my mindreading skills have improved, but I failed it in school) 😅

@BlueB   I definitely hope (and agree) you are right, but I'm also curious if this type thing happens with other networks too, or is it just another special feature of PM's system?  😁

BlueB

@dabr 

I'm going to say it's a rare event... it happens to me too, but rarely (unless my mindreading skills have improved, but I failed it in school) 😅

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@esjliv wrote:

@Scotty2 wrote:

So weird....starting this afternoon I noticed that the time on my phone is 1 minute slower than everyone else on other networks I have been texting.  I checked current time and indeed I am 1 minute behind.  I checked to make sure time is set to automatic (it was) and rebooted my phone.  Still 1 minute slow.  Looks like the time is driven from Public Mobile.  Anyone else having this issue and any idea how to resolve it?  So annoying as my texting is all put of order since I'm 1 minute behind everyone else's time lol.  Thanks!

@Scotty2  - glad this corrected itself.

Networks and services on those networks seem to be finicky occasionally.

I sent a text to someone once (that I text ALL THE TIME), that never did appear to them. Even after following up to see if it came, it never showed up. Hopefully, it was a one-off and the text got lost in 'traffic' somewhere or something.

Keep these network/service tips in your back pocket when you notice your devices or services not acting quite like they should be.

*turn off your phone, leave off for a few minutes, then reboot

*removing your SIM, then reinserting it

*go into airplane mode, then going back to regular mode

*reset network settings on your device

*manually select the 3G network (temporarily) for dropping or unable to make incoming/outgoing calls

@esjliv    I also know from first hand experience of at least one text that I never received and only learned about it from the sender when they showed me the text on their phone as being sent which was a couple of weeks after the fact so not much I could do about it.  Since then I've wondered if there have been other instances of texts not being received or perhaps not been sent, even if the phone shows that it was successfully sent. 

I'm hoping this is a rare event...

@gpixel wrote:

@computergeek541 

If you want a good one check out COIN.CSE ticker. 

@gpixel 

Coinbase Global?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Scotty2 wrote:

@Scotty2  - glad this corrected itself.

Networks and services on those networks seem to be finicky occasionally.

I sent a text to someone once (that I text ALL THE TIME), that never did appear to them. Even after following up to see if it came, it never showed up. Hopefully, it was a one-off and the text got lost in 'traffic' somewhere or something.

Keep these network/service tips in your back pocket when you notice your devices or services not acting quite like they should be.

*turn off your phone, leave off for a few minutes, then reboot

*removing your SIM, then reinserting it

*go into airplane mode, then going back to regular mode

*reset network settings on your device

*manually select the 3G network (temporarily) for dropping or unable to make incoming/outgoing calls

BlueB

@Scotty2 

Glad it's fixed.  I had that happen once, restarted my phone and all was well.  Glitches happen often enough (even if this is different).

I occasionally have the same problem with texts too!  My phone will be slow to send a text message, but my friend will be so fast at replying their text comes in before my message "officially" goes out and....!!!  haha 😆

@computergeek541 

If you want a good one check out COIN.CSE ticker. 

@Scotty2 wrote:

Years ago, I noticed that Rogers GSM and Rogers HSPA had about a 7 second difference in time between the two networks. Today, just as you, I noticed the phone time being off exactly one minute as well.  I was checking stock market quotes and Royal Bank was seemingly giving me prices that were current as of one minute into the future.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Scotty2 

can you try reseat the SIM card and Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. waiting a 1 minute

4. put it back and power on,

5. toggling airplane mode off/on,  

and do Rebooting your phone ,This is quick and simple,to refreshing your network,

*what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

@Scotty2 wrote:

Only mattered when texting.  People would text me and it said that their text was sent 1 minute ahead of my time.  So when I replied, my text went before their text (since my time is 1 munute behind) and made the whole conversation difficult to understand and follow.  Everything was out of order.

@Scotty2    Yep, that would definitely be annoying.  😊   The main thing is that it seems to have resolved by itself...  

@hTideGnow wrote:

@Meow  but computer can sync with different time server (you can choose, and try out different one if you suspect the time is off).. but for cell phone network sync, you can only sync with your provider, no choice, if Telus/PM server is wrong, you are wrong with it together

Not much choice there. I rarely depend on exact time (all those rockets I have to launch...) and if I have to then my trusty 'atomic' Casio watch is the only thing I trust when time matters.

Meow_0-1636584197799.png

and

Meow_1-1636584459041.png

Scotty2

Only mattered when texting.  People would text me and it said that their text was sent 1 minute ahead of my time.  So when I replied, my text went before their text (since my time is 1 munute behind) and made the whole conversation difficult to understand and follow.  Everything was out of order.

@Meow  but computer can sync with different time server (you can choose, and try out different one if you suspect the time is off).. but for cell phone network sync, you can only sync with your provider, no choice, if Telus/PM server is wrong, you are wrong with it together

I was wondering why it matters, too... plus, I likely won't aware that I am off by 1 mins

Sometimes time syncing is not perfect. On one of my PC time is off few minutes even though it was set up to sync with MS or whatever server.

1 minute? Why is that so big deal?

Scotty2

Will do.  Thanks!

@Scotty2   next time, try to toggle the Use Network time.  It would force the phone to resync the time with the system.

Scotty2

Lol!  I heard about that.

Nothing I did resolved the issue.  The issue just resolved itself after a while.  So not really sure what caused it or why it resolved on its own.  But happy that it's fixed regardless.  😁

glad it is 1 mins, not like Bell changed the Winter time couple days early last week .

btw, did you have to reboot the phone to get the time back on track?  

Scotty2

So strange.  Everything appears to have resolved itself.  Guess it was a glitch of some sort.  Anyhow thanks for the reply and suggestions!

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Scotty2 wrote:

@Scotty2    Just compared my phone clock against the desktop and both showed minute change at the exact same time.  So might be just a temporary glitch on your phone perhaps.  Hard to say...

You could try toggling airplane on/off too.

Edit:  Another thing to try is to power off and remove your SIM and reinsert after a couple of mins. 

Hopefully, someone else will be able to offer more suggestions or a reason as why this is happening.

Need Help? Let's chat.