cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching From Telus

ayoung106
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi everyone! 

I'm looking to switch over three phones onto public mobile. I've only just started looking into it but I'm very interested. 

I've been a LONG term customer at Telus with a good plan but I need to save money. I'm thinking I will be switching over 3 phones onto 3 different plans. My following questions are: 

- Do I order the sim cards ahead of time and then switch them on the last day of my contract with Telus? 

- They are activated when you put the sim cards in, correct? 

- How can I ensure our phone numbers stay the same? I read on the help guide that you simply ask to use it, is this correct? 

- Random question, what is the voice mail like? Virgins has an extremely annoying voice that I'd prefer not to have. 

- Any other tips or tricks I should know? 

Thank you so much in advance! Happy holidays and New Year! 

12 REPLIES 12

@domptg wrote:

I have to correct that : Referral codes would lower your bill by $1 every 30 days not like you said $2. Not anymore.

@domptg 

They have 3 accounts so the two would lower the first account by 2 or the second would lower the first by 1 and the third would lower 2nd by 1, again 2 in total

domptg
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have to correct that : Referral codes would lower your bill by $1 every 30 days not like you said $2. Not anymore.

I believe the voice mail prompts and voices is identical to that of TELUS.

AE_Collector

I also recommend using autopay it will save you $6 on total every 30 days, it will also give you extra data (maybe save you from upgrade) and you don't have to use it. You should remember to check if the payments actually went through since if it falls the account gets suspended without warning. I deal with that by making manual payment when I receive and reminder that due date is approaching.

Hope it helps

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

I was thinking, what kind of plans are you looking at?

They have 2nd month free promotion on right now

I highly suggest that you aim higher as if you estimate your usage too low and wish to upgrade the promotion will not cover your whole second cycle of you upgrade higher. But if you say choose 50 plan they will give you 50 on your account, if you realize you are using less and could get away with only 1 gig, then if you downgrade the promotion will actually cover your 2nd and 3rd cycle, you will have 50 on your account. If you pick 25 then want to upgrade to 50 then you will have to pay the difference from your pocket.

Also every time you switch the plan make sure you postpone your switch to your renewal date as they will not prorate and apply the difference you will lose what you already paid for

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@ayoung106 wrote:

Hi everyone! 

I'm looking to switch over three phones onto public mobile. I've only just started looking into it but I'm very interested. 

I've been a LONG term customer at Telus with a good plan but I need to save money. I'm thinking I will be switching over 3 phones onto 3 different plans. My following questions are: 

- Do I order the sim cards ahead of time and then switch them on the last day of my contract with Telus? 

@ayoung106  You can order your SIM at any time or go into one of the authorized retails locations and get your accounts activated.

All the info on how to get started can be found here. 

You don't have to wait for the last day of your Telus contract because once you move over (port) your Telus number to Public Mobile the account will automatically close any any prorated amount will be credidted back to you.

No the sim cards need to be activated at the store or online. Also don't forget to use a referral code for your first account to get an additional $10 off. Once you activate the first card then use your referral code to get additional credites for account 2 and 3.

- How can I ensure our phone numbers stay the same? I read on the help guide that you simply ask to use it, is this correct? 

Yes, It's called porting your number and it can be done during your sim activation or at a later date provided that you Telus account remains active.

- Random question, what is the voice mail like? Virgins has an extremely annoying voice that I'd prefer not to have. 

Telus and Public share many of the backend interfaces so voicemail will be similar to what you are currently using at Telus.

Remeber in order to be able to port your numbers your Telus account must be active. You can activate the Public sim cards with a temporary number and then port your numbers from Telus. If you activate the card at Walmart they offer free sim cards. Don't forget your referral code. We are always here to help. Smiley Happy

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

One more thing

Don't forget the referral codes

The best way is to use your friends code for the first account you open. Then login to your self-serve and on the to right corner you can get your own code which you can use with your other two accounts. 

That would lower your bill by $2 every 30 days

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Another advice

Sometimes Walmart gives free sim cards if you activate there. Give them a call and ask.

Switch over one phone don't port yet you can port at any time, when you know it's working well for you, just login to self-serve click on plan & add-ons then click on change my number, then transfer number

You will be able to fill in the info

Your Telus account must be active and in good standing. 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You will need to keep your Telus accounts open during the porting process.  Here is more info.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/choose-your-phone-number

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

Yes, you need the PM SIM card numbers for activation. 

You need to activate online or in store. Then insert SIM card into phone. 

Need to port your number from Telus either when you activate account or later via self service account. 

Voicemail voice is standard.

Some people will recommend activation with new temporary PM phone number first. Then port your number from Telus afterwards.

Some Walmart’s will offer free SIM cards if you activate in store. 

Use friend referral code to get $10 credit for 1st activation. Then use your 1at account referral code for other two accounts. 

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Do you have a family of friend with public mobile? You can ask them to take a look at their voicemail, they can temporarily change greetings for you

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

You need sim in advance

You first activate then insert sim in the phone

You can port your numbers at any time.

Just make sure you don't port two of them to one account, that happened before and you lose the phone number. One account one email one phone number.

Voicemail is ok standards one you can change greeting and how is accessed and autoplaid

Need Help? Let's chat.