cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sonim XP-8

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Does anyone know which sim card manager app can be used  on a Sonim XP-8 to manage the dual sim?

14 REPLIES 14

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious wrote:

@CFPartDeux 

Have you seen the specs for this phone? As long as he doesn't lose it 

LOL, we both know how that'll go..... 🤣

he may just have this one for awhile! He has already wiped out on his bike and the phone flew apart....lost the sim card but the phone is still ticking along nicely. But he did manage to lose the new sim when he took it out to mess with things....two sim card changes in 10 days! 

Methinks the guy needs to have clothing made exclusively from double-sided tape, and borrow some ball player's pine tar for his hands..... or maybe he needs to have a full-body sized slop trough hangin' from his shoulders, so anything he drops or puts down will never leave his side! 🤣

@CFPartDeux 

Have you seen the specs for this phone? As long as he doesn't lose it  he may just have this one for awhile! He has already wiped out on his bike and the phone flew apart....lost the sim card but the phone is still ticking along nicely. But he did manage to lose the new sim when he took it out to mess with things....two sim card changes in 10 days! 

BTW....messaged the mods at 6:45 pm pt last night and had the sim card swapped out and functioning by 7:25pm. The expiry date of the autopay c/c was used for verification....don't know what they ask for if you don't have a card on file or if you don't have the credit card in your possession or its stolen along with your phone....this could cause a security problem. Pm needs to come up with a better security feature for swapping out your sim card!

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious wrote:

@hTideGnow 

Fido would have to pay me to use their services! Oh wait pm is paying me to use their services... and I love public mobile vs fido 😈. I was trying to let me bf a data addict use some of my free 32GB of add on data. Oh well I guess it wasn't meant to be....I will just keep adding to my collection.

You mean he STILL has a phone to even use data on!? 😮  Probably using your backup's backup by now...... 😉 😁

@hTideGnow 

Fido would have to pay me to use their services! Oh wait pm is paying me to use their services... and I love public mobile vs fido 😈. I was trying to let me bf a data addict use some of my free 32GB of add on data. Oh well I guess it wasn't meant to be....I will just keep adding to my collection.

haha.. there are better plans out there for 2nd slot.. I have a Fido data only plan for $5  for 4Gb.. not a  lot but perfect for 2nd slot if I have a phone with that 😉 

@hTideGnow 

So....the only possibility here is developer's options and rooting and generally stuff that's way over my head. The phone is second hand.....but still for its regular price you would think you get that feature since they provide no real info that its functiinality is disabled.

@computergeek541 

And that's just short sighted thinking.....because guess what the reason for wanting the second sim slot was to use another pm sim card/account.

@hTideGnow wrote:

@darlicious  2nd SIM works but only one one SIM is present.. so, it really defeat the purpose of dual SIM.  I think it's not they disabled the slot 2, it's more they disabled dual sim functionality, that's why they don't care which slot as long as just 1 SIM

did you get it new from Telus?  you can open a ticket to confirm? or even return it if you don't like it?

For some reason, North American really dislike dual Sim.  First, they don't sell it.  Even if they do, they disable it.  

I believe that part of the reason the carriers don't like phones with dual SIM card slots is because of the worry that you could have a competitor's SIM card in the other slot.  Is that anti-competitive?  Maybe. However, that does provide a barrier in situations that a customer might be willing to pay for a second plan but doesn't wish to have or purchase a second device. 

@darlicious  2nd SIM works but only one one SIM is present.. so, it really defeat the purpose of dual SIM.  I think it's not they disabled the slot 2, it's more they disabled dual sim functionality, that's why they don't care which slot as long as just 1 SIM

did you get it new from Telus?  you can open a ticket to confirm? or even return it if you don't like it?

For some reason, North American really dislike dual Sim.  First, they don't sell it.  Even if they do, they disable it.  

@hTideGnow 

The second sim slot works but only if you have one sim card in the phone.

I read that forum....but is two years old.....but interesting to make me think.....

@darlicious  might not be what you like:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/sonim-xp8-root.3851187/

"since the monsters at Telus have disabled the 2nd sim slot for no good reason. I have tried everything but without Root I am out of luck getting the dual sim feature to function."

on the same page, someone talked about he managed to get both SIM slots working (AT&T model, . but he used in France) .. the said it didn't work properly:

"I use 2 sim cards at the same time but it does not work properly: I can receive and make calls, but I can not send or review sms / mms on 1 operator. I use the xp8800 in France, it is a Att model unlocked.

@hTideGnow 

No its a telus phone originally.

is yours an AT&T?
" if you get an AT&T branded XP-8, the second SIM is disabled. Per Sonim, this is a contractual requirement."

@computergeek541 

There is no option to manage the dual sim. A message came up saying "Device has detected 2 sim cards. Sim in slot 2 will be disabled."

@darlicious wrote:

Does anyone know which sim card manager app can be used  on a Sonim XP-8 to manage the dual sim?

Is there something specific that the settings menu can't do for you? Most phones will show you basic information with the built-in software such as phone number and IMSI. 

Need Help? Let's chat.