cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Switch

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

This is where I fail in the tech savvy department......so before I destroy the "new" A11 the M-I-L just bought can anyone recommend a smart switch app to do the data transfer from her LG G3 to the Samsung A11? The LG phone is compatible with Samsung Smart Switch but the A11 is not.....go figure? I've uninstalled 3 different smart Switch apps because they were buggy so I didn't trust them once installed. Very frustrated with what should be a simple process ?

Please and thank you!

🫤😟😔🤮😩😫😠😡🫣

16 REPLIES 16

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@BKNS27 

Yes see 3 posts up.

@darlicious 

Any luck with transferring your files/data to the Samsung A11?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

Well it was a learning experience.....neither phone had the original charging cord but I have plenty of original Samsung cords from my devices but not a micro w/usb to go from the LG to the A11 and the Samsung micro cord that the M-I-L had wasn't working for the transfer either. I didn't try the wireless transfer first because every other data transfer I've done previously the wireless transfer would fail. I think now I know why they would fail. My patience with technology fails everytime. 😔

@darlicious so it's done finally?

I think not Factory Reset is the fatal mistake here.. usually smart switch kicks in seamlessly for new phone setup from reset

and you talked about the cable.. is that the original data cable from Samsung?  those cheaper cable might be just charge only

I guess it was a fun journey.  LOL

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Update:

I read the Google article but it left me in the same position. Then I was sent a YouTube video that again had me stuck at the connection. After trying all 3 of the micro to USB to type C connectors I threw those out the window ( OK not really but I was tempted.) and went back  to the video where it had chosen "wireless" data transfer. The LG phone prompted me to check the wifi connection so I double checked that both phones were on the same wifi band (5G).

I played around with all of the connection settings on the LG phone enabling everything (that could share) except miracast I then went thru the A11 and did the same enabling every setting that allowed sharing. I turned both phones off and back on. Launched smartswitch on the LG and tapped the notification on the A11 to finish setting up the phone where it launched smartswitch and chose wireless data transfer.

The LG prompted the wifi connection again and this time when I pressed connect after about 10 seconds the A11 gave me a prompt! I tapped it so fast I don't even remember what the prompt was?!! Some permission I'm sure as seconds later the data transfer began and was done about 3 minutes later. There were a couple of permission prompts from the LG on whether to share contacts etc...but it was quick and easy by that point. A couple of notes:

• The A11 is compatible with smartswitch despite all kinds literature saying otherwise. It comes "pre-installed" but it's not under apps in the phone it launches during the set up process.
  • Since the A11 is "almost new" and was reset but not factory reset and I skipped most of the set up to check out the phone first. Trying to install smartswitch came up with the message that the A11 was not compatible both in the playstore and from the internet/Samsung.ca.

Of course what initiated the purchase of the A11 is the notice that whatever telus system change that is occurring next June that will affect texting in many older phones is a shame that many functional and when it comes to the LG G series flagship phones that work great despite their age and lack of updates will be tossed away or in a drawer.....telus still hasn't implemented VoLTE calling for pm (that most LG phones support except the G4) but will force the purchase of new phones so texting is unaffected. It's time for telus/pm to allow VoLTE calling for all of its customers rather than pussyfoot around the matter saying it takes time....we gave waited long enough!!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

OK I will attempt the Google way once I charge the battery on the LG as it's battery life is waning quickly.....

@darlicious 

OK.. at least it installed

Make sure the cable is fully plugged in

Try to reverse the cable

Try using Wireless or cloud transfer instead of cable.  (I remember I had to do it this way once.  Possibly with the A1x  one  or some other entry level Samsung phone..)

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

Smart Switch on both devices but the A11 won't connect....I hate this phone! What a piece of crap! I'm extremely happy the contracted temporary mail carrier stole this phone when I ordered it from SDM and saved me from this hellfire?!!🔥

@softech 

I am surprised too. 
@darlicious is the Samsung A11 updated to the latest OS?

My sister had problems with apps because her phone was an old iOS.

@will13am  you made a good point.. it could be OS version.. either too high or too low..

@BKNS27 wrote:

@darlicious 

I am surprised that that Samsung Smart Switch app isn’t compatible with your LG G3 phone.

The surprising thing is the smart switch is compatible on LG but not Samsung A11

But I wonder if it is a regional variant issue.. some regional legal thing.. but not sure

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The google app does the same thing.  

https://support.google.com/android/answer/6193424?hl=en

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@darlicious 

I am surprised that that Samsung Smart Switch app isn’t compatible with your LG G3 phone.

I transferred all my data/files from a LG Nexus 4 to a Samsung S8 plus phone.

You might want to try Send Anywhere (File Transfer) app.

I haven’t tried this app but it transfer data/files from Android to Samsung A11.

https://youtu.be/FvrQTV5crlY 

@darlicious  which regional version is this A11?

AT&T A11 talks about this

https://www.att.com/device-support/article/wireless/KM1390150/Samsung/SamsungSMA115AP

I guess you can try to sideload it on your A11

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

Nope when I pull it up it says the device is not compatible.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@darlicious   A11 does not come with Smart switch but I think you can install it.  Go to either Google store or Samsung Galaxy store and see if you can download it

I am pretty  sure I  used it on some A1x series phone before...

Need Help? Let's chat.