cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Since changing to PM phone hot and battery draining

Aqua1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

Since changing to PM 2 weeks ago my phone is burning hot and the battery draining crazy fast, but this is only happening in my office in downtown Toronto. At home it is fine. Is it looking for a signal? It was so bad after an hour this morning I had to turn my phone off. I have a Nokia Lumia 920.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Otherwise I will need to go back to Rogers. This was never a problem before.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

Minerva89
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If you suspect that it's searching for a signal, the obvious question is whether or not there's indication that you have poor signal at your work. To investigate, try turning data off and leaving wifi on, vice versa, and turning both off and then see if any of those somehow improve the drain/heat issue. That should help pinpoint where the problem is coming from.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

What OS are you on?  Have you gone to Windows 10 and if so are you running any of the insider preview builds?  I have had battery issues with some of the builds on my 950XL as some apps were just chewing up battery in the background.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

clogan2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

They are 100% the same network. Any differences would be down to differences in baseband programming, of which there really shouldn't be any.

Since they're coming from Rogers (a completely different network), the point is moot anyway.

I can't say I understand why you are having problems now, a quick search on Microsoft's forums suggests that it could be location services running in the background.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mobiledevices/forum/mdlumia/nokia-920-warm-battery-drain-issue/a...

YoshiF
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I don't have a Windows Phone but friends use this really good battery app for Windows Phone:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/battery/9wzdncrfjc2z

Check first to see if you have one already built-in the OS before you install unnecessary apps.

That should give you a detailed report on what is using up your battery.   Apps like Outlook checking your mailbox repeatedly over poor reception will drain your battery quicker. 

Run a battery report and see what's using it up first. 

YF.

RLBL

@clogan2 wrote:

What carrier are you coming from? It would be fairly easy to rule out PM as the problem if you were coming from Telus / Koodo / PC Mobile.

Although that seems logical, I am not sure it is 100% accurate.

When I switched from Koodo, to PM I connect to different cell towers when I am at home and at work.

I am not complaining though, as the towers I connect to are closer and I have better signal strength and battery life now (go figure)

Aqua1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am coming from Rogers. The problem started the day I switched to PM. I have taken the battery out, rebooted the phone multiple times etc. I can only assuming it is searching for a signal. Can I stop it doing that constantly?

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Never heard of this before

clogan2

What carrier are you coming from? It would be fairly easy to rule out PM as the problem if you were coming from Telus / Koodo / PC Mobile.

CaNuCk07
Mayor / Maire

Are y ou having signal problems?  I know the phones use alot of power tryign to switch between wifi and looking for new networks.  But weird i'm in downtown toronto and have no issues with anything when switching to PM.

Need Help? Let's chat.