cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim card not working

khukkie
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I bought a new iPhone 11 Pro and a new sim. I didn't port over my old number and just picked a new one. However, the sim is not working. It says SIM not supported. 

15 REPLIES 15

@khukkiehere's more info if you have dual sim.

iphone-dual-sim-illustration-line-drawing.png

To use Dual SIM, you need iOS 12.1 or later, two nano-SIM cards, and one of these iPhone models:

• iPhone 11
  • iPhone 11 Pro
  • iPhone 11 Pro Max
  • iPhone XS Max
  • iPhone XR

Here's how to install the nano-SIM cards:

Insert a paper clip or SIM eject tool into the small hole of the SIM card tray, then push in toward iPhone to remove your SIM tray, notice the notch in one corner of the new SIM card. Place the new SIM card into the bottom of the tray—it will fit only one way, because of the notch. Then insert the other SIM card into the top tray.

So if yours has both. Try putting sim in the other one. And make sure software is 12.1 or higher.

Let us know!

CatBlack

reposition it or flip it over

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Jb456 

Really? I did not know that. Thanks for that. 

@brettster99  the 11 I think has sim and esim but the 11 pro I don't know if all but some have dual sim.

Sim tray on both sides.

You can see it around 2:20 mark on YouTube link below.

https://youtu.be/xaN_cyNoCM0

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Jb456 

From what I understand it’s dual sim is one physical sim and the other is an ESim so there is no physical spot for another SIM card 

@khukkie  also. Does the 11 pro not have dual sim?..if yes, try the other sim slot.

@khukkiethis is a long shot but. Since you said new out of the box. Can you plug the phone into iTunes with sim card in and see if it pushes any type of carrier update or even phone updates for that matter?

khukkie

No, unfortunately. 

@khukkiedo you have another unlocked phone lying around to try your sim card in?

khukkie

No this is my first ever phone. This is newly bought fresh from the Apple store. 

@khukkie was it a new phone or a refurbished one? Contact Apple to make sure of this. Try to sync to iTunes
1. Insert new working SIM - do not turn phone on (if SIM is already in, turn off)
2. Connect to computer with USB cable.
3. Start iTunes if it doesn't auto run
4. iPhone will switch on. Wait until iTunes registers it and checks for updates
5. Install the carrier profile update (if offered, if not, go to step 6)
6. Disconnect and restart. From @luddite.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Except the 11 pro was released in Canada on Sept 20 2019. So phone would be unlocked out of the box.

khukkie

I am confused as I bought the phone new. Do I have to go to Apple and ask to unlock it? 

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@khukkie  normally if it says SIM not supported. Then the phone is locked to the previous provider.  Contact then and ask them to unlock it for you. Stay safe.

@khukkie wrote:

I bought a new iPhone 11 Pro and a new sim. I didn't port over my old number and just picked a new one. However, the sim is not working. It says SIM not supported. 

This usually means that your phone is locked to another carrier. Hae you ever used this phone at more than one company?

Need Help? Let's chat.