cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I take the plunge?

erotavlas
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm current Rogers customer.  I have the old grandfathered plan which they have raised price on almost every year, first when my discounts expired, next with $5 increasse and now I'm worried they will increase the price of the 6GB addon like Bell has done by $10.  I'm already up to around $75 with tax.

My current Rogers plan is

6GB data add on

200 local only minutes (unlimited weekends and after 6pm weekdays)

voicemail (with visual voicemail)

unlimited text/picture message

Man I called retentions and their best offer was an even more expensive plan at $80 for 5GB data - thats less data than I have now.  And that plan only is eligible for the crappy smartphones, not even the high end ones.  After 13+ years as a customer with two other accounts, I'm so surprised they didn't try harder to keep me.

So today I went to one of the pickup locations and grabbed a sim card and am ready to activate before the promotion ends, I can do the port another time.  But should I do it?

Will the money I save at Public Mobile more than compensate for the cost of purchasing my phone outright (even a sale phone or used one)??  

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13

jgurholt
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I swapped from 15 years at Rogers with 2 lines. I was paying $170 a month for one plan with 6GB and another that was talk only. There is a local guy that sells almost brand new refurbished phones at a fraction of the retail unlocked price so I was already with an unlocked phone.

I am now banking my $130 a month savings and using it for a yearly vacation!

Gee

Do the autopay and save an additional $6 per quarter for a total cost of $515.28 per year

@ks2hot4u wrote:

Signed my gf, mother and father up in the last two weeks and today I cancelled my 6gb grandfathered plan I have had the last 5 years and wont look back. My thoughts are its 12gb over three months therefore if I splurge one month I may have to change my limits the next. Well worth going from my last 12 months with bell at roughly $1200 to $542.40 withouth refferals on public mobile. The port took less than a half hour, and my bell account already shows cancelled. Looking forward to the new Roam features also.

FYI USA Roam feature is now here: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/U-S-Roaming-has-arrived/m-p/94947

ks2hot4u
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Signed my gf, mother and father up in the last two weeks and today I cancelled my 6gb grandfathered plan I have had the last 5 years and wont look back. My thoughts are its 12gb over three months therefore if I splurge one month I may have to change my limits the next. Well worth going from my last 12 months with bell at roughly $1200 to $542.40 withouth refferals on public mobile. The port took less than a half hour, and my bell account already shows cancelled. Looking forward to the new Roam features also.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
I bought my iPhone 7 outright. Let's just say I love being with PM, and yes I'm saving money in the long run. 🤑

erotavlas

Well thanks for the advice guys,

I think I will try PM.  I thought of a compromise that would allow me to hold onto my Rogers account temporarily while I evaluate PM.  I checked with Rogers and I can suspend my account for any number of months for $7/month.  Then I can sign up with a new account at PM and evaluate it for a while.  Even with $40 + the $7 suspension I am still paying way less than I am now.  It would give some time to see if Rogers will follow Bell in raising the price of the data add on by $10.  

But yeah, I totally agree with @fizz no reward for loyalty anymore. I've also been with them for just over 13 years I remmber the loyalty department was so great before the 2 year contracts came into play.  Man they used to give such gret deals, and also call loyal customers once and a while with promotional offers.  That's how I got the 6GB data add on at such a great price at the time.  Now they just suck.  

fizz

I was in the same boat as you and paying Rogers less than you are. I moved in the end after being with them for 13 years. I just could not be bothered with them anymore in terms of the plan cost increases, locked phone, no reward for loyalty.

But you do require some patience with PM. If you use the call centre frequently and really change phones every two years then you should probably stay with Rogers.

mohammedessam

definatly switch, its worth it.

You will save more over the years to buy a new phone

ksgarcha

Yeah, I'm thinking about it myself.. I just got dinged by Bell for $10 more cause of the increase in 6GB add-on plan.

I activated a phone with PM yesterday (or day before?) and just got service now. If you are patient and can pick up a SIM card tomorrow or Saturday, it'll be worth it in the long run.

Plus service is only $38 with auto-pay ($2 discount).

Just going to suck not having 6GB a month since I usually go over but oh wells, worth the savings.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

I am surprised you got the sim today. They are selling it tomorrow and Saturday. 

Based on feedbacks provided by many users, they seemed very happy even with old plans which were not that great. But this one is totally a big saving. Imagine you will get more data and no minutes limit for only $40 ($38 with autopay)/30 days. That is $35 of savings every month. Plus you can even take this cost down even more by referring other people and earn loyalty rewards. 

In my opinion, its definitely worth it.

splashable

Do it!  I just made the switch today and I'm currently on hold for Rogers to make sure that my accounts get cancelled.  The activation and porting was painless and things worked perfectly.

Both my husband and I noticed that the LTE data is faster than Rogers was.  

For half the price, I'm in!!  You won't regret it.  

PoweredByPho

@erotavlas wrote:

I'm current Rogers customer.  I have the old grandfathered plan which they have raised price on almost every year, first when my discounts expired, next with $5 increasse and now I'm worried they will increase the price of the 6GB addon like Bell has done by $10.  I'm already up to around $75 with tax.

My current Rogers plan is

6GB data add on

200 local only minutes (unlimited weekends and after 6pm weekdays)

voicemail (with visual voicemail)

unlimited text/picture message

Man I called retentions and their best offer was an even more expensive plan at $80 for 5GB data - thats less data than I have now.  And that plan only is eligible for the crappy smartphones, not even the high end ones.  After 13+ years as a customer with two other accounts, I'm so surprised they didn't try harder to keep me.

So today I went to one of the pickup locations and grabbed a sim card and am ready to activate before the promotion ends, I can do the port another time.  But should I do it?

Will the money I save at Public Mobile more than compensate for the cost of purchasing my phone outright (even a sale phone or used one)??  

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I swapped from Rogers, I had two lines with them over 11 years and they certainly did not gaf about me.

My advice is swap to PM, the money you will save month to month over the next 2 years will be more than able to buy out any device you want and you'll still be out ahead. Plus, then you won't always feel like you're at Roger's mercy.

jordanharris01

Absolutely it will cover the cost! I have my account to auto-pay, 1 referral and a small community award so my bill has dropped to $100 every 90 days, some people have gone into the low $80's with a lot of referrals... I check kijiji for phones and manage to find great deals with some searching. I managed to get a barely used LG G4 for $200 from someone when everyone else was charging $450... it just takes some searching.

Or you could jump on a koodo deal when they come along, and then pay the cancellation... that helps save if the deal is worth it.

I was on an old 6GB Telus plan (but they don't raise the price each year) but I was still around $65... now I'm down to about $33 while on the same network. I love it.

Need Help? Let's chat.