cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I switch to a new 5G promotional plan from my Grandfather'ed 4G LTE plan..?

Koal_7
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Good Monday afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen, 

Current Grandfather'ed Subscription:
$180 / Every 90 days 4G LTE Network - Canada & USA calling, Call display, Call waiting, Conference, etc., international text, 9GB total data. Since Dec. 2017. 
$15 OFF every 90 days discount due to the annual customer loyalty rewards program and Autopay. Therefore I pay $176 and some change after taxes every 90 days. 
Promotional one time only Add Ons I received for free in recent years currently on my account:
8 GB of Data - Unused and rolls over. 
4G of Data - Unused and rolls over.
1000 International Calling Minutes - Partially used and rolls over.  

Promotional Subscription (Deadline Oct. 23rd - Today):
$50 / 5G Network - Canada & USA calling, Call display, Call waiting, Conference, etc., international text, 40GB.
After taxes this comes to $169 & some change. 
Earn $2.50/month in points value with our Public Points. 

I currently have two phones. A 4G Volte LTE device, and a 3G device. I plan on purchasing a new 5G device in the near future. What do you think ladies and gentlemen..? Also how do I go about acquiring a 5G SIM card? 

27 REPLIES 27

lamberguini

WHOA,

Honestly I think you shoulda done it a long time ago homeskillet.😛 I think you might agree since your title of the post referred it as "Grandfather'ed" Lol. And yes. 

ALSO: I would suggest purchasing a phone that's 5G, not just compatible but for instance. I have a "Samsung A14" which is compatible with 5G,yes. But I recently bought a refurbished "Samsung A71 5G"and I can absolutely tell the difference.

Anyways that is all . Hope that helps. 👏🫶

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

I suspect it would work just as before but users could run into @mellondon 's issue just like purchaser's of the new 30 day expiry data add ons run into upon renewal if it's not completely consumed.  The data add on gets shuffled to the back of the plan data pack destined to expire before becoming available for use again. (Unless of course they purchase more "domestic" data before then to extend the expiry date.)

@golfball- I haven't heard this being blocked. It might even be that those with the unlimited could buy add-ons but they wouldn't be able to use it. The company would gladly take your money though. But maybe they do stop you. The roaming plans though, there's no reason why you couldn't buy those. I don't remember anybody saying they used it all and bought add-ons though. I then wonder if buying data add-ons would work in the states after using all the plan data.

golfball
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@computergeek541 wrote:

@golfball wrote:

Data add-ons won't work even if you go over your total allowance? That's a bit strange.

Data add-ons cannot be used  in combination with 5G unlimited plans.

That makes sense, but the 5G CAN/US plans are not unlimited. I don't see why they would block you from purchasing more in this case.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

But the 5G roaming can use data add-ons.

@computergeek541 Just the 5G plans that have unlimited/throttled data.

@golfball wrote:

Data add-ons won't work even if you go over your total allowance? That's a bit strange.

Data add-ons cannot be used  in combination with 5G unlimited plans.

golfball

You go back to subscriptions & add-ons and should see an indication called UPCOMING SUBSCRIPTION in a plan box under change subscription.

Doing it again will not charge you twice. Attempting to do it again won't show you the plan you had wanted to change to which would be an indication that the plan is being changed to that plan.

Koal_7

Good evening,
Thank you for your overview. So I did go ahead, and was prompt to a page that said your new subscription will take effect on my next cycle. Now I thought to myself "okay". Closed the browser. Out of curiosity I logged in some hours later just to see if the section for "My Accounts" has an area that shows a record of the subscription plan change that will take effect in the next billing cycle. There is literally nothing I can find on the PM site where it has a log that can confirm that I did this for the sake of assurance. I am considering if I should go ahead and just select the new plan and do it all over again, and this time take a screenshot of the page??? Will it bill me twice on my next cycle if I do this a 2nd time. The PM website is so basic to a point it's not assuring using it. Not even an email confirmation attached to this account about my subscription change upon next renewal. Did I do this right? 

Koal_7

Good evening,
Thank you for your overview. So I did go ahead, and was prompt to a page that said your new subscription will take effect on my next cycle. Now I thought to myself "okay". Closed the browser. Out of curiosity I logged in some hours later just to see if the section for "My Accounts" has an area that shows a record of the subscription plan change that will take effect in the next billing cycle. There is literally nothing I can find on the PM site where it has a log that can confirm that I did this for the sake of assurance. I am considering if I should go ahead and just select the new plan and do it all over again, and this time take a screenshot of the page??? Will it bill me twice on my next cycle if I do this a 2nd time. The PM website is so basic to a point it's not assuring using it. Not even an email confirmation attached to this account about my subscription change upon next renewal. Did I do this right? 

mitchnet12

@Koal_7  Hopefully you have scheduled your plan change by now. From one legacy to another, these new plans are all great value. If I travelled to the States, the current 90 day offer for Canada-US for $150 would definitely be appealing.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

First hand experience here. You will keep your legacy rewards unless you opt into the new Public Points system, which is separate from the plan change.

As to whether or not you should switch, it's already been stated but I'll say it again: that is a no brainier. Schedule the plan change for your next renewal date and don't look back. You will be getting so much more, for less money.

golfball

You won't need to change SIM. And your rewards won't change without specifically selecting a button to swap to points on the rewards portal. Set the new plan to start at next renewal and everything will continue working at a lower price.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Koal_7 

All you need to do is schedule the change plan on next renewal to the new plan offer that expires today. Doing this will ensure you have saved the option for yourself as you can always cancel it at anytime before renewal ( but you won't be able to change your mind again if you do so...) Otherwise everything else will stay the same...$$ rewards, Sim card, billing etc.....but you will not be able to use your data add ons unless you switch back to a "3G" or "4G" plan ( not that you will need them with such an increase in plan data allotment.)

You may also want to note that your data add ons are also grandfathered as non-expiring whereas current data add ons expire 30 days after purchase. You can express your displeasure at this change in this thread......

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Clarification-of-Public-Mobile-Data-Add-o...

Has that Note 14 been on volte for very long? (ie. that is since volte was introduced here)
There's no 3G UMTS in the states.
Again, you don't need to change the sim. You can have a 5G capable and working phone (a whole other topic of compatibility there) and a 5G plan and get the same speed as a non-5G phone with a 5G plan. It's all about speed. You can have a 4G plan on a 5G capable and working phone and get the 4G speeds. It's all about speed. It's silly games with marketing terminology that the companies play.

Koal_7

Yes my Note 14 also runs with Volte enabled within Canada. I have a little icon that appears to confirm when I have it enabled.
As for the Note 6, 2G GSM you say on T-Mobile if in the USA? It's officially a burner phone now lol. 

"It might be of interest to you to realize that the plans are about speed not really network."
So in the future if I purchase a 5G based Phone, would it be to my benefit to update the SIM...? I have a feeling that using an LTE nano sim designed for a 4G network will limit my speed for a 5G based phone and I won't be able to take advantage of the maximum data speeds. Am I understanding this incorrectly..? 

@Koal_7 

I am 100% certain of this. You will not be migrated to the public points program by switching plans.

Yes, Public Mobile tries to coax customers over to it because it benefits them financially (and detriments us)

But just ignore the suggestions which speak about public points. Up until now, they have not made plan changes conditional on switching reward programs.

Truth be told, if it ever came to that I think you would see a lot of customers go elsewhere.

Many regulars here have changed to the new plans and stayed on the dollar rewards.
I'm surprised your Note 14 is working on volte. Is it working on volte here also or just roaming?
The Note 6 could work with roaming talk and text but only on T-Mobile and their old 2G GSM. But not data.
You don't need a new sim for 5G speed plans. It might be of interest to you to realize that the plans are about speed not really network.

@Koal_7 wrote:

Yes I have heard that 5G in the US is still unstable in many areas. My 4G device is solid with the VOLTE enabled for roaming. It's a Ulephone Note 14. Android 12. Have had it for almost 2 years now. My 3G/ HSPA device is a Ulephone Note 6, Android 11. 

@Koal_7 , the various plans are named based on speed throttling and it does not affect how you connect to the network.  In fact 3G speed plan accounts can connect to 4G and 5G networks.  I would definitely recommended getting off of the legacy plan an into a current plan as you will get much more data for about the same or less money depending on which plan suits your needs.  I would not go overboard and buy too much data since your current plan has very little data.  Your rewards will not be affected for sure. I switched out of my legacy plan earlier in the year.  

Koal_7

Yes I have heard that 5G in the US is still unstable in many areas. My 4G device is solid with the VOLTE enabled for roaming. It's a Ulephone Note 14. Android 12. Have had it for almost 2 years now. My 3G/ HSPA device is a Ulephone Note 6, Android 11. 

Koal_7

Are you 100% certain of this, because it appears with the new plan the point system is defaulted into the plan..? This is what I am looking at: https://subscribe.publicmobile.ca/en/on/activation/plans/40GB-5Gspeed1

You know how these companies can be, with their misleading promotions, then all of a sudden you lose your rewards etc etc. Happened to me years ago with FIDO dollars. Lost $520 of fido due to a horrible customer rep who did not care. Could have purchased a new phone with that money. 

Also how do I go about obtaining a 5G SIM from them and KEEPING my number. It simply says I can change the subscription upon next renewal which is easy. There is also a mention of paying $5 for a physical SIM (which I would prefer over an E-SIM). 

mojorising
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Your rewards will remain unchanged. In order to move to the Point rewards, you have to sign up for it. I believe that wording is for new customers only.

You will stay on dollar rewards and the add-ons will remain.
Be sure to change on next renewal. There is no pro-rating here.

Koal_7

Thank you for your reply. If I was to switch today it does seem like a promising deal. However I don't know if I can retain the original rewards system. It appears as though once you switch plans the new points system is embedded. Here is what I mean when you review the plans: https://subscribe.publicmobile.ca/en/on/activation/plans/40GB-5Gspeed1

I don't even know if I will lose all the Ad-Ons that I have earned on my current plan. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

No brainer, change. But if you do use the roaming then verify that volte has been enabled. What are the makes and models of these two phones? Volte will be a much smoother experience in the states.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Koal_7 

if I were you, I would certainly consider switching plans, but do so on the next renewal, not an immediate plan change. And take screenshots of the pending plan change just in case it doesn’t change on your next renewal.

And if you do decide to switch, do not switch to public points.  It is far less beneficial than the old rewards.

Need Help? Let's chat.