cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security, blocking.

Syncopates
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I have a question on a security issue I'm having. Just cropped up with a couple of messages within an hour of each other. May be coincidence. One from the:
"return-team@cad-invoice,info Subj:31-03-22 Dear Client, We have been alerted of a mistaken charge made to your account during the last billing cycle. You have been issued a full refund in the amount of $62.91 via Interact. 
OverCharge Centre-
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Telus-Koodo-CA

This came in as a text message with the number +1(999)999-9999

The second was from 1(825) 250-3965 
Survey from UCP Caucus: Do you agree with the Government's decision to lift the CONVID restrictions and return to normal? Reply Yes No. 

The top one appears to be a flat out phishing expedition. CLICK this link and win FUN PRIZES. The second is a privacy issue. Don't we hear far too much from the government for our own good? 

Does Blocking these numbers do anything at all. 

edited by computergeek541: web address link removed

6 REPLIES 6

Syncopates

Thanks, good information!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Syncopates 

This first message is an obvious scam looking to get your banking info.

The second is obvious scum as political parties should not be sending you unsolicited messages. They have gotten your phone number from a public list....possibly the voters list. I would send them a message that under no uncertain terms will you ever vote for the conservative party if they ever contact you again via your telephone number. This has worked very effectively for me in the past.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin#.

Syncopates

I haven't had this issue with Public before, and started to wonder if I gave out my number to some agency that in turn sold my info or was hacked. As I said, probably a coincidence. I have the unknown caller filter on and limit who I give my number to. I guess I was hoping for some new 'junk text' filter. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Syncopates   BTW, the text you got from  +1(999)999-9999, those are text sent via text by email.  People was sending you by email to your phone_number@msg.telus.com  (like 123456790@msg.telus.com).   If you block that, you will not be able to receive any text by email.  If you never need that, never aware such feature and hence you don't see the value of it, you can block it

JL9
Mayor / Maire

ugggh it has become so frustrating with all the scams out there.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Syncopates   Personally I think there are too many numbers out there to block if we try to block.  Also, some of those "create" fake numbers to call or text so it is really no point to block each and everyone, unless you see they use the same number to keep calling or texting

Some new phones, like iPhone has option to filter unknow Senders or Ring only those calls from Contacts.  They are more useful, but of course, if you are expecting calls from doctors or other companies to call back, you should not use these features.

Need Help? Let's chat.