cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S locked to Virgin...

inPicton
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Can you recommend a reliable site where I can get an unlocking code?
Phone is a Samsung Galaxy S Mode GT-1900M that was used on Virgin Mobile. The firmware  version is 2.2.
Am also wondering when I get this running on PM, will the OS upgrade?
Thanks, Paul.
inPicton.

9 REPLIES 9

inPicton

"You can also search on kijiji, any local store would unlock it for $10 to $20."

Thanks for the Kijiji tip, Mana.

inPicton

Thank you all for your replies.
"As for software updates, if this is a first generation Galaxy S, it stopped receiving updates years ago, and hasn't been supported for years. The carrier won't make a difference if updates aren't made for the phone."

Yes, it's an old phone. I was wondering if it would update the OS.
Using a PM sim, I'm able to connect to my home wifi. I like this little guy cuz it's small and doesn't have a lot of things going happening on the home screen. It's for my wife when she's out walking with the dogs after dark. Keeping it simple.
thank, Paul.

inPicton.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

You can also search on kijiji, any local store would unlock it for $10 to $20. 

pulp74
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I used https://canadaunlocking.com/ couple times. No problems so far. Good luck. 

R47

If you'd like to unlock this phone, as of December it will be free, otherwise you can check eBay and try find a code on there.

As for software updates, if this is a first generation Galaxy S, it stopped receiving updates years ago, and hasn't been supported for years. The carrier won't make a difference if updates aren't made for the phone.

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I've used mobileincanada.com several times no issues plus you don't need a PayPal account can do interac.

Tiffae26
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I recommend to go in person to do the unlocking as it is more reliable. There is a site called canadaunlocking.com and if they can not unlock your phone they will refund your money. 

Note that iPhones are more expensive to unlock because they must get the code directly from Apple and not from other sources.

Good luck!

Taekgun
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I've had success searching eBay, paying the $10-$20 and getting this unlock code from reputable sellers on several occassions.  You usually get a response in 6-24 hours and they have a process for refunding if it doesn't work.

Otherwise, you could wait until December 1, 2017 when all carriers in Canada will be mandated by the CRTC to unlock cellphones locked to their network. Smiley Happy

***EDIT: and as @Audit13 stated, if your are partial to this phone, I would update the firmware ASAP.

Audit13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The cheapest and easiest method to unlock the phone would be to buy an unlock code from eBay.

Btw, is it a gt-i9000m?

Since the phone is running android 2.2, you should definitely updated to the most recent version supported by the phone. 

If you have a Public Mobile data plan, I highly recommend upgrading to a more recent phone to take advantage of your network experience.

Need Help? Let's chat.