cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS not working

Hollandar
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi everyone,

I have a iPhone 12 Mini and recently switched from Fido. My data, phone calls and messaging over data all work, but I can't seem to send or receiving any SMS messages. I have received SMS from Public Mobile directly for the 2-step verification process when signing in, but not through any other method outside of trying to send a SMS to my own number (which seems to work, but I am not sure if that is actually sent through SMS). I have reset my network settings, rebooted my phone, and also reseated the SIM card in the tray, and nothing seems to work. Does anyone else have a potential solution?

Thanks in advance.

11 REPLIES 11

@Hollandar 

try this

Send messages as texts only when iMessage is unavailable

1. Go to Settings > Messages
  2. Toggle Send as SMS switch to on

@Hollandar , I have been thinking about this all day & I can not remember what I did to fix mine when that happened to my phone when I switched over to PM previously! I can not find the instructions I saved either! I’m sorry 😕

Hollandar

I am wondering if there is an option for me to use iMessages with SMS as it is supposed to function. It worked fine on other carriers in the past, and actually I switched my partners phone from Fido to Public Mobile at the same time and it is working seamlessly for her. I am wondering if I actually just have a broken SIM. Perhaps I should try switching the SIM cards to see what happens. Is it hard to get a new SIM from PM?

hi @Hollandar 

you are not receiving , could be your friend sending you with IMessage?

make sure you Carrier profile is updated

for sending,   try this

Send all messages as texts

Go to Settings > Messages

Toggle iMessages switch to off

Send messages as texts only when iMessage is unavailable

Send messages as texts on a manual basis

Toggle Send as SMS switch to off

When iMessage is unavailable, individual messages will not send.

Tap and hold these individual messages until you get an option menu.Tap Send as Text Message

Toggle Send as SMS switch to on

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@Hollandar   Ok then, use the search bar at top of the page and look up " setting up your data on an iphone".    Check out what APN settings you might have to change on your phone.

Hollandar

I tried this and it did not fix the problem. I also don't want to have iMessage off regularly as I use it most of the time. I just need to be able to send SMS to contacts that aren't on iOS.

I had the same settings with Fido and it worked seamlessly with that provider.

Hollandar

I am not receiving any SMS from friends, nor they from me. iMessage is working fine (blue bubbles). I have cellular data and Wi-Fi both on. Is it possible I have a broken SIM card? Phone calls are working but not SMS.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@Hollandar Turn off iMessage and make sure SMS and MMS on.  Make sure Cellular data is on.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Apples' iMessage usually takes over all other SMS apps including native one.

Turn it off or redirect native (plain) SMS app to handle all SMS.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Hollandar   can you receive sms or mms from friends?

are you using iMessage?  What colour is the text you are sending on the message screen ?  If it is Blue, you are sending iMessage, you need to have Wifi or turn on Mobile Data

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@Hollandar Turn on your data and turn off iMessage system on your phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.