cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM purchase, activation in-store, choose new number at WOW! mobile boutique, anjou quebec

kaoru
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

hello all !

after the debacle in never getting a SIM shipped to me, i resolved the issue with the MODs.

so now i want to purchase a SIM in-person, choose a new number for my IPHONE SE ( old model, but brand new. unlocked ).

i called the WOW! mobile boutique, anjou quebec ( bit far from the plateau, montreal ) and the clerk informed me that :

i would need to activate in-store and not just buy the SIM and activate it myself. and that i would have 3 choices to choose numbers from and that if i wanted to choose one i liked more then what was presented to me, he would need to start the whole process all over again ( ie. fill in my information, etc ).😁.. not very encouraging. too restrictive.

is there any way i can just buy a SIM and activate on my own and choose my number on my own via the PM website ?

my area code is : H2W 1H6. does anyone know exactly which walmart or some other store i can buy a SIM in-person without being forced to activate it on the spot ?

or is there a way to work around this, like choose whatever number i may not like with the clerk and then change it after on my own ? could i change it right away or i'd have to wait ?

thank you !!!

14 REPLIES 14

kaoru

@computergeek541 you are very welcome ! i have been saved so many times by posting to community users and asking MODs,... so i am glad my experience has helped you !

i hope you saved some $$ when buying your replacement SIM card..😉

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@dougc  You can use your referral code on another new activation / signup. Even if you're activating 3 lines for yourself.

In your case it will not work. I read your other thread and you simply want to change your card to a new sim card.

If anyone needs to change a sim card. Example lost a phone or old sim card is not 3 hole punch or damaged. Than you DO NOT activate a new sim card. 

You have to log into your account and click "Change SIM card". 

Green arrow on picture below.

Screenshot_20200629_182641.jpg

Then type your new sim card number in and your account / number is now on the new SIM card.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dougc 

Active existing accounts can give their referral code to a new activation account for during the activation process.

It has been permitted to apply this referral code shortly after activation. This needs to be done by the moderator team.

dougc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@computergeek541 

Okay if I was to go with the new SIM  option (i beat up vs gently push out Nano),  I'll reach out to a sister or nephew for a referral number.  

p.s. kaoru    Thanks for posting this thread  !

@dougc wrote:

Do you  know if,  are we allowed to use our own existing referral code on a new SIM activation  that I hope to be still using my same ph number and PM account ?

A referral code can't be applied to an account that you arlready have, nor can a Public Mobile phone number be both one Public Mobile account to another. If you want to use the referral code from one of your Public Mobile accounts, you need to open a new account and get a seperate phone number.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dougc 

You can use your own referral code for another activation. I'm not sure I understand the second part of that question.

dougc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Jb456 

"When you get home simply activate the card. Don't forget to use a referral code for a $10 signup bonus. "

Do you  know if,  are we allowed to use our own existing referral code on a new SIM activation  that I hope to be still using my same ph number and PM account ?

If not known anyone else tried this out in similiar scenario ?

thanks

dougc

kaoru

😂😂😂.. they did NOT.. 😁

So let me summarize your experience for you....

WoW Mobile DID NOT  WoW you!

AE_Collector

kaoru

i will try the website too, thank you !

kaoru

thank you for the tip about walmart ! i will still try asking a few of the walmarts based on another tip on here, but with no expectations.. and yes, it"s too bad about wow! boutiques 😟

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@kaoru  still a bit out of your way however I've had success at Walmart in Saint-Constant, Brossard and Longueuil buying just the SIM card. I'm sure there are other Walmart's as well that you'll have no issue.

Or you can do this. It works all the time. Go to the Electronic section at Walmart talk to the worker in that department. Say this.

"Hey I'm with Public Mobile and recently lost my phone. I simply need to buy a new sim card. I already know how to change the sim in myself serve account when I get home. Can you sell me a PM card?"

You should get one no problem.

When you get home simply activate the card. Don't forget to use a referral code for a $10 signup bonus.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kaoru : Walmarts are notorious for requiring in-store activation. It's disappointing to hear about Wow Mobile. How about a Superstore/Loblaws whatever they're called in your area? They often have cell shops inside.

During activation, you can try your preferred last 4 digits. Or scroll as many numbers as you like.

The clerk just doesn't want to take the time.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@kaoru 

Use this link to contact stores in your area to see if they will sell you just the sim. If not purchase at Canadian Cell Supplies for $3.99 right now.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/store-locator

Canadian Cell Supplies: https://canadiancellsupplies.com/collections/sim-cards

Need Help? Let's chat.