cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card Slovenia and Croatia

Karen1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I will be doing a 15 day bike trip through Slovenia and Croatia in September.  The area covered will be urban and rural.  Does anyone have experience with SIM cards in these two countries?  I am looking for phone, text and data capability.

9 REPLIES 9

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

the other option is freedompop

Karen1

An unlocked IPhone 6

Karen1

Ah thanks for the screenshot.  I was obviously looking at the wrong page - I was looking at unlimited data.  I will have a second look

koimr1

@Karen1 wrote:

Thanks for the information.  I had a look at Knowroaming.  It looks great, but unfortunately is not available in Slovenia.  Good to know for another trip though.

Actually, if you go here Slovenia is on the supported list:

knowroaming1.png

and

knowroaming2.png

You mentioned you use WhatsApp, this might be of interest to you then (WhatsApp usage is free with KnowRoaming):

knowroaming3.png

@Karen1

What phone are you planning on using by the way? Is it already unlocked?

Karen1

Thanks for the information.  I had a look at Knowroaming.  It looks great, but unfortunately is not available in Slovenia.  Good to know for another trip though.

Karen1

Thanks I will look at your links.  I have no experience with SIM cards in foreign countries as I usually try to get by with wifi, whatsapp, etc.  

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

I don't have personal experience, but I usually find a list of the operators and browse for their sites before I go on a trip. Using Google Translate, you should be able to find out their pricing.

I usually pick the larger operators because their coverage is generally better. Here are the oeprators in order from largest to smallest.

Croatia:

Hrvatski Telekom

VIP

Tele2

Slovenia:

Telekom Slovenije

A1

Telemach

T-2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mobile_network_operators_of_Europe#Croatia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mobile_network_operators_of_Europe#Slovenia

Have fun! Sounds like a great trip!

koimr1

I just came back from Europe and although I wasn't in Slovenia nor Croatia I got pretty close (Austria and Hungary).

I used a KnowRoaming SIM and had no issues with data/voice/text almost anywhere I went, including some locations in the Alps.

Because of my travel arrangements I needed to provide an Austrian number before I left Canada so that's why I went with KnowRoaming.

If you don't need the same then I would suggest getting a SIM card once you're there - much cheaper and better rates (in fact you might be shocked at how much we pay for regular service here in Canada as opposed to Europe).

While I was over there I could probably get a SIM card from various providers on almost every city block and definitely in every train station/airport.

Need Help? Let's chat.