cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Card won't work after a typo in account number...

tsuekhung
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I tried to transfer an existing phone with an existing number under a different provider.  I entered the account number when prompted incorrectly, and I don't know how to correct the incorrect account number.  I have the right account number on hand to enter.  How to fix the typo and re-register my SIM card?

11 REPLIES 11

@BlueB wrote:

@tsuekhung 

Oops!  🙂  Have you tried re-attempting the porting request with the correct information?  If so and it still fails, then you may need help from the Porting team.

Otherwise, to reach the Moderator team (staff) for help, you can open a ticket via the SIMon chatbot (lower-right corner, click the chat bubble) where you can authenticate and tie it to your account.  You can also message them directly, but they will still need to authenticate you:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/22...

We all make mistakes but the Moderators (staff) here are pretty good at helping us out! 🙂

As previously pointed out, the porting team cannot fix an improperly set up account.  They can fix the number port, but having them complete the port when the Public Mobile service has not been properly activated/provisioned to the SIM card would actually be a bad thing.  This would cause the old carrier's service to stop working and the port completed to Public Mobile but the service issues that's already preventing the Public Mobile service working would remain. As it is now, the old carrier's would still be working. 

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@tsuekhung 

Oops!  🙂  Have you tried re-attempting the porting request with the correct information?  If so and it still fails, then you may need help from the Porting team.

Otherwise, to reach the Moderator team (staff) for help, you can open a ticket via the SIMon chatbot (lower-right corner, click the chat bubble) where you can authenticate and tie it to your account.  You can also message them directly, but they will still need to authenticate you:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/22...

We all make mistakes but the Moderators (staff) here are pretty good at helping us out! 🙂

ab2004
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Not big deal.  It will be declined. And you just contact moderator , initialize a new port request. 

@BKNS27 wrote:

@tsuekhung 

Did you leave your old SIM in the phone?

The porting process will be a text from your previous carrier confirming that you are porting over to PM and you need to reply with a YES.

If not or if you didn’t reply within 90 minutes of the text. You will need to contact a moderator by clicking on the SIMon chat bubble and ask to create a ticket for a moderator to look into your porting issue.

Assuming that the OP's device is compatible with Public Mobile, a moderator is going to be needed regardless. A failed number port doesn't prevent a customer from making outgoing calls, outgoing text messages, and using data.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@tsuekhung 

Did you leave your old SIM in the phone?

The porting process will be a text from your previous carrier confirming that you are porting over to PM and you need to reply with a YES.

If not or if you didn’t reply within 90 minutes of the text. You will need to contact a moderator by clicking on the SIMon chat bubble and ask to create a ticket for a moderator to look into your porting issue.

@tsuekhung 

Did you complete the activation of the sim card? If yes then put it in your phone and see if you have any services. If no then just start over.

@HALIMACS wrote:

@tsuekhung 

I would contact the public mobile porting team.

I will private message you the phone number.

Look at the envelope icon in the upper right for my message.

The porting team would not be able to fix this.  While the Porting Team could correct the account number and make the port go through, that would not change the fact that the SIM card apparently has no service provisioned to it.  For that, a Public Mobile moderator will be needed if there is an account issue.

Another possibility could be an incompatible device or an inocorrect network or network type being selected.

@tsuekhung wrote:

Hi, I tried to transfer an existing phone with an existing number under a different provider.  I entered the account number when prompted incorrectly, and I don't know how to correct the incorrect account number.  I have the right account number on hand to enter.  How to fix the typo and re-register my SIM card?

Your Public Mobiile SIM card not working isn't a number porting issue.  Even if someone activates and requests a port with an incorrect old carrier account information, the Public Mobile service would still working except for some incoming communication services.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@tsuekhung , I assume you are trying to port in a number to Public Mobile.  If you entered the wrong information, the number port would not proceed.  Otherwise, your current service should continue to work as if nothing had happened.  Have you tried rebooting the phone and checking the self serve to make sure nothing unusual happened.  

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

you will get a message from PM telling you they can't port the number as the information is incorrect.  

But as suggested above, call the porting team and they will let you know what to do next

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@tsuekhung 

I would contact the public mobile porting team.

I will private message you the phone number.

Look at the envelope icon in the upper right for my message.

Need Help? Let's chat.