cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming Outside NA

Mohawk44
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Asking for my mom. She’s looking to change to a Canada US plan that’s available in Quebec. She’s going to Ireland and wondering if there are roaming add ons for Europe?

6 REPLIES 6

Terryscell
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Note that the island of Ireland contains 2 countries; The Republic of Ireland which is in the EU, and Northern Ireland which is in the UK. Some plans may only cover one zone.

Public Mobile only offers roaming in Canada and the US.

For travel in the UK and Europe, I found Giffgaff (a UK company) very good. They actually mailed a free SIM card to me in Canada!

So, my account was set up before arrival there; no searching strange places to find a phone retailer. And for 5 Pounds, (about $8) we got 5G, a couple of GBs, unlimited calls and text, and EU roaming.

My wife used Lebara; similar product, but only mails SIM to UK address. 

For free calls back to Canada from overseas, we use Fongo.

BTW, strongly suggest a VPN for security when using hotel / airport WiFi.

mnx
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I’ve had good luck with these guys when I was in Poland and Switzerland a couple summers ago.

https://www.esim.net/O2/Travel

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Mohawk44 

If she travels a lot. Maybe get a SIM router so she can use her PM phone anywhere in the world. Just have to put the PM SIM in the router at home and she can use the SIMore app.

https://www.simore.com/en/android-dual-sim-active-simultaneously-4g-router-adapter-triple-dual-sim-a... 

Otherwise, just purchase a local SIM in Ireland.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

As mentioned above, PM only works in Canada and the US. Travellers to the rest of the world need to find work arounds.

One word of caution: If you are trying to get 2FA texts abroad, VoIP providers like Fongo or TextNow are not a reliable option (anymore?). Make sure that you have back-up channels for 2FA verification in place before you leave Canada.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

sorry @Mohawk44 PM does not have service outside of Canada and US

if she has a newer phone, check travel eSIM plans, if not, check with this local data sim.  She can then use VoIp app like TextNow to make and receive calls and text for free

TheSterlinger
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Roaming is only for USA. You would have to get a travel SIM.

Need Help? Let's chat.