cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register a prepaid card for autopay

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

I was reading the updated help article about paying for your service during COVID-19 and after going thru the normal options, digital options (recharge.com) and vouchers and instant top ups fhecarticle mentioned being able to use prepaid cards available at most retailers. I didnt know this was an option or at least its a new one. I decided to test it out with the prepaid visa gift card i recieved from kelloggs for their gas card promotion. It is important to note that on the card :

1. Has my full name printed on the front.
  2. Has an expiry date in Sept 2020.
  3. Has a CVV  on the back of the card.
  4. Is a nonreloadable visa "REWARD CARD".
  5. Has a $5 value.

Once I accessed  the payment page the only option to use the card is to remove or replace the card already registered for autopay. Remove card warned this would remove autopay (this was not my intention I only wanted to use the $5 balance on the card) so I went back and chose Replace card.I entered my address exactly as it appeared before (and where the card was mailed to) in ALL CAPS. The system accepted the card and it is currently registered for dynamic autopay.

I'm going to leave it registered and not use the balance on it yet to see if it works as an alternative to a credit card or visa/debit card and top up with a voucher.  Whether I am tempted go let autopay charge a few dollars to it and risk suspension i will think about it.....but a viable option for those without the usual cards accepted for autopay? Its looking like a yes....just don't let it have an autopay declined payment (insufficient funds.)Screenshot_20200517-045932.png

9 REPLIES 9

@NDesai 

My roommate left my stole credit card on his account until he finally got a koho card. Ensuring that he always topped up with a voucher. The beauty of this card it was free by purchasing two family sized kelloggs cereal and upload your reciept by may 31st.....deal still hot. ( pc optimum pay it forward offers spend $15/5k points, price match at $4.97× 6=$29.82 add some Pringles and you'll get 3×$5 kelloggs visa cards and 10k in points ($10)and 6 boxes of cereal!

I loaded $4 from the card ($4.48w/tax) and switched back to my regular card because I'm downgrading this month and i dont want to take any chances. But im going to be using one of the cards with another name on it and use it to register for autopay for anyone i activate that doesnt have a card.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

This is not new. I have been using a prepaid MasterCard with $1 balance since 2016. The card is probably expired by now, but still attached to my account. It was never touched as the account is not required to take any payment from it because voucher plus rewards always took care of my renewals. I have suggested this quite a few times over the years as it is a no brainer to have the $2 discount and still continue to pay using voucher. 

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Anonymous 

That was nice of @kselmak to do. I could have given you one too if you wanted. But if you know others who want a referral to KOHO let me know. @darlicious  That is cool that the $5 card from Kellogs was accepted and I can't wait till the results come to see what happens on your next renewal.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Buy-in: not certain....maybe $25? There is an up-front fee though.

Inactivity fee: so just spend it out. Not much blood in stones. You're anonymous so no credit hit.

Zero balance: I've spent out my cards and I still get the autopay reward. Like I said, I've never actually tried to hit the card from here. Just register it and forget about it. I don't think there's any such thing as negative balance with those cards.

"For good": do you mean you would give folks the card details and they would use it for the reward? They could just go do that themselves couldn't they?

Edit: I've moved on to the reloadable kind like Koho where kselmak provided a referral for me.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

You can keep it there even after it has expired if you don't let it be charged, which means you will need to pay with vouchers if you don't want to remove it. 

@Anonymous 

I was aware of vanilla cards but have never used them. What's the minimum buy in? You are correct it is backed by peoples trust and when i squint  to read the small print it does say $2.95 Will be charged to the card the first month after expiry. So the card doesn't really expire but will accrue charges/ fees after expiiry shown on card. Can it have a $0 balance or a negative balance and remain for the autopay reward only? I intend to use the $5 i have on the remaining 15 coming in the mail as well but i want to use them for "good" to help out some less fortunate recieve their autopay reward. Even if it's only for their first 3 months.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious 

I thought you were the queen of the search bar. These kinds of cards have been talked about over the years.

I have spent-out Vanilla brand pre-paid Visa "credit" card gift cards registered here and get the $2.

I'm otherwise carrying a balance in Available Funds so I'll admit I've never hit the the card from here.

Is your Kellogs card backed by People's Trust? I'd spend it out. Hey it's 5 bucks.

@gblackma 

The card does state its unreloadable. I could leave my account short $1 to see if it will take a payment. My thoughts on this was the ability to activate a friend without the means to even apply for and set up a koho card. But still have the ability to recieve the autopay reward and pay with vouchers. What would be interesting is to see f the card is automatically rejected by the system past its expiry date if its never used. For me it would be a risk free option for myself not having one of my real credit cards on file for someone else. Similar to a reported stolen card being used for the autopay reward only is not rejected because it's never used for payment.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@darlicious  interesting tell us if you got your reward on June 2nd. Can you add funds to the card and see if its going to work? That is, if you are willing to take the risk. Thanks. Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.